Good reads

morepork

Re: Good reads

Postby morepork » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:44 pm

paddy no 11 wrote:
morepork wrote:
paddy no 11 wrote:Gomorrah by Roberto saviano, superb 5/5

Cheery fucker aren't you?

Nothing like a bit of misery morepork, I'm balancing it out with the art of meditation by matthieu ricard

Just drink bro.

paddy no 11

Postby paddy no 11 » Mon May 25, 2020 12:28 pm

The wayward bus - Steinbeck

Very similar book to the winter of our discontent and that is a better book imo, still the wayward bus was well worth a read and needed something not over challenging in these ridiculous times

Donny osmond

Postby Donny osmond » Mon May 25, 2020 3:24 pm

Couple of decent rugby books lately.

Mud, Mauls and Mascara by Catherine Spencer is an excellent and, dare I say, important book about determination, courage, achievement and failure. Spencer was Captain of England and took them to unheard-of heights, winning grand slams, beating the best in the world, and two consecutive, losing, WC finals in 2006 and 2010. The book opens with a painfully honest account of her emotions as she watched England finally win the WC in 2014; anger and bitterness that she hadn't lifted the trophy herself were her overwhelming feelings and she is brutally honest about that. The book is a gallop thru her rugby career but at all points it details her battles with self-confidence, imposter syndrome, everyday sexism. She wrote the book herself and is an engaging character and this comes thru in spades. Eventually, having left rugby behind and struggled mightily with that, before watching England lift the WC and being plunged back into the maelstrom of emotions, she comes thru it all and the book ends on a real positive. It's a great read and one that I will be encouraging my daughters to read when they are a bit older.

Fringes by Ben Mercer is another excellent rugby book, about life as an 'almost made it' pro player. Mercer joins French club Rouen as they are taken over by two business men with designs on taking the club from the lower divisions of French rugby up to the big time. Over his four seasons there, under the guidance of Richard Hill ex England scrum half, the club climb thru the leagues gaining promotion. Mercer charts how he came to grips with French life, professional sports life, rugby life and the many clashes of culture he experienced along the way. Another enthralling book, full of character and characters, the book isn't so much about the details of life as a pro rugby player, it's more just observations of life in France from a pro rugby player. But it's well written and engaging, open and honest and I imagine will appeal to most club rugby players.

Sent from my CPH1951 using Tapatalk

OnlyMonikerRemaining

Postby OnlyMonikerRemaining » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:16 pm

Donny osmond wrote:Couple of decent rugby books lately.

Fringes by Ben Mercer is another excellent rugby book, about life as an 'almost made it' pro player. Mercer joins French club Rouen as they are taken over by two business men with designs on taking the club from the lower divisions of French rugby up to the big time. Over his four seasons there, under the guidance of Richard Hill ex England scrum half, the club climb thru the leagues gaining promotion. Mercer charts how he came to grips with French life, professional sports life, rugby life and the many clashes of culture he experienced along the way. Another enthralling book, full of character and characters, the book isn't so much about the details of life as a pro rugby player, it's more just observations of life in France from a pro rugby player. But it's well written and engaging, open and honest and I imagine will appeal to most club rugby players.

Sent from my CPH1951 using Tapatalk

I am reading Fringes at the moment and quite enjoying it. I'd agree with your assessment so far.

Numbers

Postby Numbers » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:00 pm

The Fuck it List by John Niven, good stuff.

I like all of Niven's books so far, always entertaining.