Good TV Shows

kk67

Re: Good TV Shows

Postby kk67 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:20 pm

The news in the cinematograpy industry is that Billy Zane is a pratt. But he plays it well.

Donny osmond

Postby Donny osmond » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:04 am

Half way thru season 1 of The Boys and I absolutely love it. By turns funny, irreverent, gross, shocking, it's great TV.

Sent from my CPH1951 using Tapatalk

Donny osmond

Postby Donny osmond » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:05 am

Also season 2 of Succession... even better than season 1, I think, altho they are on the verge of overplaying some of the characters.

Sent from my CPH1951 using Tapatalk

Saison

Postby Saison » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:49 am

JUst got round of watching Lovesick aka Scrotal Recall on netflix. Loved it.

Galfon

Postby Galfon » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:05 pm

Filming of Line of Duty series 6 ongoing, possibly for viewing Feb 21.Talk of Bodyguard 2 and Life on Mars 3 too - Not sure how the latter will pan out but most of the original cast are up for it I believe. (back-watching en-bloc these with G jnr who is now of age to appreciate, and get some decent beers in.. :) )
Big tip-of-the-hat to writer/producer Jed Mercurio and many of the actors..Dunbar, Sim, Madden, Hawes et al. Long list tbf.

paddy no 11

Postby paddy no 11 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:30 am

I'm about a week from finishing season 6 of Bojack Horseman - what a show

Mikey Brown

Postby Mikey Brown » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:59 pm

paddy no 11 wrote:I'm about a week from finishing season 6 of Bojack Horseman - what a show

Yes. It’s dumb and pretentious at times, but really surprisingly profound.

The whole anti-hero thing (or just having your protagonist be a total dick head) is so easy to do if you never actually address why someone behaves like that, but they do it perfectly without ever apologising for the way he behaves.

It’s also basically the only use of puns I’ve ever seen that is actually funny.

paddy no 11

Postby paddy no 11 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:10 pm

Finished Bojact last night, its an amazing series withe great characters, hilarious, stupid and profound

The writing is so superior to anythhing else ive seen in years

Hope this team can move to another project and turn out something half as good

Fair fucks to them for not doing another 2 seasons as requested

Margo Martindale :mrgreen:
JD salinger :mrgreen:

Son of Mathonwy

Postby Son of Mathonwy » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:44 pm

Binged on some TV from the last few years.

Watched all 3 seasons of Hannibal. Superior stuff, really classy TV, albeit one could argue that the whole murder as installation art thing is totally sick.

The Leftovers. Started very well, very well written and generally put together, first season was good, next 2 not nearly as good. It's never clear what the show is trying to say. Ultimate ending (and explanation) unsatisfying and pretty stupid.

Also checked out some Anime with the kids. Hunter x Hunter is brilliant, sure, a little childish in some ways, but a great action show. Slightly hard to categorise compared with US/UK shows.

Mikey Brown

Postby Mikey Brown » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:35 pm

Son of Mathonwy wrote:Binged on some TV from the last few years.

Watched all 3 seasons of Hannibal. Superior stuff, really classy TV, albeit one could argue that the whole murder as installation art thing is totally sick.

The Leftovers. Started very well, very well written and generally put together, first season was good, next 2 not nearly as good. It's never clear what the show is trying to say. Ultimate ending (and explanation) unsatisfying and pretty stupid.

Also checked out some Anime with the kids. Hunter x Hunter is brilliant, sure, a little childish in some ways, but a great action show. Slightly hard to categorise compared with US/UK shows.

There was something incredible about the Leftovers at the same time as being absolutely all over the place. Maybe it's a cop out but I'm not sure if a tale of existential angst could really have a satisfying ending.

I've heard people with similar tastes to me recommend Hannibal. I feel like I tried 1 episode a few years back and couldn't even make it through. Does it take a while to get going?

Son of Mathonwy

Postby Son of Mathonwy » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:41 pm

Mikey Brown wrote:
Son of Mathonwy wrote:Binged on some TV from the last few years.

There was something incredible about the Leftovers at the same time as being absolutely all over the place. Maybe it's a cop out but I'm not sure if a tale of existential angst could really have a satisfying ending.

I've heard people with similar tastes to me recommend Hannibal. I feel like I tried 1 episode a few years back and couldn't even make it through. Does it take a while to get going?

(Spoilers)
Of course the Leftovers isn't unique in being initially interesting, then deteriorating as things are explained. The first episode is brilliant (and well written, staged etc), it throws out a lot of fascinating unknowns eg what was the Departure, what are the GR all about, what is Holy Wayne providing?
But it's all quite disappointing. The GR's crede seems to be a secret, so why would anyone join them when their main characteristic is to act like arseholes to everyone (including each other)? And their crede is to essentially make themselves blank (wear white, not speak, have no human ties) as if that would somehow remind everyone about the Departure (despite having no opinion of what the Departure actually was).
It's left ambiguous whether Holy Wayne actually had any supernatural abilities or role. We have no idea why Tom wanted to join his cult.
At least the nature of the Departure is explained in the final episode. But can we possibly believe that Nora, having spent years trying to reach her children, doesn't even speak to them and simply returns to our world (but becomes a recluse)? Can we believe that Nora is the only person who wants to return from the other world? Or that the existence of the other world hasn't been revealed by messages being sent back, even if no one returned?
And what is Kevin's problem? He didn't lose anyone in the Departure (unlike Nora who has plenty to be depressed about). I guess we're just following someone with clinical depression, blackouts and schizophrenic visíons for 3 seasons. And his near-death experiences, while fun, really tell us nothing - it's not even clear if they're real or imagined.

Hannibal is really worth sticking with. I wouldn't have said that it takes time to get going, but it does improve during the course of the first season. The show is pretty unusual for having psychopathic genius in the title role and a highly disturbed and odd main character. By the third season it leaves the viewer without an obvious character to identify with.

Sandydragon

Postby Sandydragon » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:42 am

The missus and I watched Us the other week. One of those shows that I didn't think I'd enjoy, but was far better than I expected.