Good TV Shows

Son of Mathonwy

Re: Good TV Shows

Postby Son of Mathonwy » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:13 pm

Mikey Brown wrote:I loved the first series of Twin Peaks then was thrown off by the second series being about 40 episodes. Does it maintain that quality? I've also heard the third series is great but would obviously be pointless until I've seen the second, and possibly the film?

I think the 2nd season is 22 episodes. Arguably it's not quite up to the standard of the first, but it's still essential viewing. The story continues directly from the end of the 1st, so just keep on watching I say.

The film I think you can miss out completely - despite the fact that's it supposedly explains (if anything can) how the first season begins. It's largely lacking in humour and so is very, very dark. Perhaps worth watching for the explanation-defying Bowie scene, but in general not enough FBI action for me.

cashead

Postby cashead » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:20 am

The arc where James Hurley is riding around and wandering into soap operas sucks shit, but it does sort itself out.

Can't recommend JoJo's Bizarre Adventure enough - unreasonably buff men, striking fabulous poses, homoeroticism, graphic violence, all the good stuff. There are big chunks of Part II, Battle Tendency, that are completely indefensible though.

Son of Mathonwy

Postby Son of Mathonwy » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:11 am

cashead wrote:The arc where James Hurley is riding around and wandering into soap operas sucks shit, but it does sort itself out.

Can't recommend JoJo's Bizarre Adventure enough - unreasonably buff men, striking fabulous poses, homoeroticism, graphic violence, all the good stuff. There are big chunks of Part II, Battle Tendency, that are completely indefensible though.

Yeah, James is a bit of a vacuum wandering through the series from start to finish, but nothing's perfect.

JoJo's is insane. Infeasibly dastardly villain "It was me, Dio!!" Dio Brando, implausible cockney and walking rock tribute "Stone the crows, I like the cut of his jib" Robert E. O. Speedwagon, and totally bizarre on so many levels "Your next line is…"Joseph Joestar.

Not as good an anime as Hunter x Hunter though, which is genuinely good TV (in a non-ironic sense).

Son of Mathonwy

Postby Son of Mathonwy » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:14 am

The fourth and final season of the anime Attack on Titan continues with its bizarre world-expanding revelations, which explain (fairly well) the mysteries of the earlier seasons.

Plenty of over-the-top heroics and histrionics, as to be expected, but this gory work has a genuinely novel concept.

paddy no 11

Postby paddy no 11 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:50 pm

Did watchmen series get reviewed on here - thought it was awful still with one episode to go that i cannot face

Son of Mathonwy

Postby Son of Mathonwy » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:35 pm

paddy no 11 wrote:Did watchmen series get reviewed on here - thought it was awful still with one episode to go that i cannot face

I said something about it (a bit more positive) back in January.

Eugene Wrayburn

Postby Eugene Wrayburn » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:58 am

I loved Watchmen. And Lovecraft country if it hasn't already been mentioned. So unusual to see big budget black centred drama, let alone fantasy/scifi.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

NS. Gone but not forgotten.

paddy no 11

Postby paddy no 11 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:40 pm

Thought it was tedious in the extreme

Son of Mathonwy

Postby Son of Mathonwy » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:33 am

Just finished the first season of The Terror. Really good, great cast, setting, grim and ominous tone throughout. It wound up being a little less of a supernatural horror than I first expected, but a great watch. It's an adaptation of a Dan Simmons novel (which I haven't read).

Mikey Brown

Postby Mikey Brown » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:42 am

Watched Raised by Wolves. Started off pretty entertaining, despite being total nonsense, but found it faded continually as the season went on. I think the opening titles kept me coming back, and there were loads of cool ideas scattered around in there, but there's some really atrocious child actors in it and I just didn't end up invested in anybody.

Which Tyler

Postby Which Tyler » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:04 pm

Mikey Brown wrote:Watched Raised by Wolves. Started off pretty entertaining, despite being total nonsense, but found it faded continually as the season went on. I think the opening titles kept me coming back, and there were loads of cool ideas scattered around in there, but there's some really atrocious child actors in it and I just didn't end up invested in anybody.

I don't think I managed to finish it - I really should have loved it, but I just didn't care