Dinner conversation topics

User avatar
Lizard
Posts: 3545
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:41 pm
Location: Dominating the SHMB

Dinner conversation topics

Postby Lizard » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:24 am

So, Mrs Lizard has just informed me that she has invited our brother-in-law over for dinner tonight. This is not normally a problem, he's a decent enough bloke and we have enough common interests to get along just fine. My wife has not invited her sister (i.e. the BIL's wife) because she is away skiing (whether with friends or on her own isn't clear). This too is normally fine - they don't have kids (4-5 years married, she's early 40s, he's at least 50) and their work schedules aren't always aligned so they do their own things a bit.

The problem us that the last I heard, the SIL had made up her mind to leave the BIL. I don't know if she's told him that yet. I heard this as we werer driving home from our beach place last weekend, where we had spent Easter with the SIL & BIL.

So what's the etiquette here? Assuming he's still in the dark, should I give him a head's up on the basis of blokes' solidarity? Should I casually mention single women I know who might be within his league? Should I rub my perfectly successful (so far) marriage in his face with the unspoken point being that I clearly got the better of the sisters?* Or should I stick to our usual topics of rugby & cricket results, fishing, home brewing and why he hasn't finished restoring his car/fixing his boat/building his deck/renovating his "investment" property/getting a proper job?**


*To be fair, he probably has (or had) the 2nd best of the 4 sisters (and 2 brothers - I don't discriminate)
**I believe that this character trait may be one of the causes of SIL's dissatisfaction.
______________________
Dominating the SHMB
======================

User avatar
Stones of granite
Posts: 1643
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:41 pm

Re: Dinner conversation topics

Postby Stones of granite » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:48 am

Lizard wrote:So, Mrs Lizard has just informed me that she has invited our brother-in-law over for dinner tonight. This is not normally a problem, he's a decent enough bloke and we have enough common interests to get along just fine. My wife has not invited her sister (i.e. the BIL's wife) because she is away skiing (whether with friends or on her own isn't clear). This too is normally fine - they don't have kids (4-5 years married, she's early 40s, he's at least 50) and their work schedules aren't always aligned so they do their own things a bit.

The problem us that the last I heard, the SIL had made up her mind to leave the BIL. I don't know if she's told him that yet. I heard this as we werer driving home from our beach place last weekend, where we had spent Easter with the SIL & BIL.

So what's the etiquette here? Assuming he's still in the dark, should I give him a head's up on the basis of blokes' solidarity? Should I casually mention single women I know who might be within his league? Should I rub my perfectly successful (so far) marriage in his face with the unspoken point being that I clearly got the better of the sisters?* Or should I stick to our usual topics of rugby & cricket results, fishing, home brewing and why he hasn't finished restoring his car/fixing his boat/building his deck/renovating his "investment" property/getting a proper job?**


*To be fair, he probably has (or had) the 2nd best of the 4 sisters (and 2 brothers - I don't discriminate)
**I believe that this character trait may be one of the causes of SIL's dissatisfaction.

Stick to less controversial topics like e.g.
- The role of the GRU in the Skripal case
- Aussie ball tampering and tears before bedtime
- The potential that China and Russia may takeover Venezuela's oil assets
- Winnie "how do you like that necklace" Mandela's legacy
- The future role of the word "caveat" in message board posts

User avatar
Mellsblue
Posts: 11930
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:58 am

Re: Dinner conversation topics

Postby Mellsblue » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:17 am

Stones of granite wrote:
Lizard wrote:So, Mrs Lizard has just informed me that she has invited our brother-in-law over for dinner tonight. This is not normally a problem, he's a decent enough bloke and we have enough common interests to get along just fine. My wife has not invited her sister (i.e. the BIL's wife) because she is away skiing (whether with friends or on her own isn't clear). This too is normally fine - they don't have kids (4-5 years married, she's early 40s, he's at least 50) and their work schedules aren't always aligned so they do their own things a bit.

The problem us that the last I heard, the SIL had made up her mind to leave the BIL. I don't know if she's told him that yet. I heard this as we werer driving home from our beach place last weekend, where we had spent Easter with the SIL & BIL.

So what's the etiquette here? Assuming he's still in the dark, should I give him a head's up on the basis of blokes' solidarity? Should I casually mention single women I know who might be within his league? Should I rub my perfectly successful (so far) marriage in his face with the unspoken point being that I clearly got the better of the sisters?* Or should I stick to our usual topics of rugby & cricket results, fishing, home brewing and why he hasn't finished restoring his car/fixing his boat/building his deck/renovating his "investment" property/getting a proper job?**


*To be fair, he probably has (or had) the 2nd best of the 4 sisters (and 2 brothers - I don't discriminate)
**I believe that this character trait may be one of the causes of SIL's dissatisfaction.

- The future role of the word "caveat" in message board posts

I believe it has been decreed that the future of ‘caveat’ is finalised, and with no caveats.

The best you can do for him is to show some solidarity. At the start of the evening, tell him the story of the time you sat in first class on a flight to Fiji whilst your wife sat in economy with the kids. If your wife is anything like the long suffering Mrs Mellsblue, the atmosphere between you will suddenly sour and will only worsen with every glass of wine. For the rest of the meal you and your brother-in-law can exchange knowing glances across the table about how crazy woman are.
Have you considered that your wife has invited him over so that she can give him the news about the impending divorce?

User avatar
cashead
Posts: 3206
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:34 am

Re: Dinner conversation topics

Postby cashead » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:52 am

Seduce her with an erotic ballad.

Donny osmond
Posts: 2164
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:58 pm

Re: Dinner conversation topics

Postby Donny osmond » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:59 am

Tell him! Solidarity brother! Nah only kidding, stay well out of it, this is your wife and sister's problem. Potential for comedy tho with chat about careers, so try that out.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

User avatar
Lizard
Posts: 3545
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:41 pm
Location: Dominating the SHMB

Re: Dinner conversation topics

Postby Lizard » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:17 am

Mellsblue wrote:
Stones of granite wrote:
Lizard wrote:So, Mrs Lizard has just informed me that she has invited our brother-in-law over for dinner tonight. This is not normally a problem, he's a decent enough bloke and we have enough common interests to get along just fine. My wife has not invited her sister (i.e. the BIL's wife) because she is away skiing (whether with friends or on her own isn't clear). This too is normally fine - they don't have kids (4-5 years married, she's early 40s, he's at least 50) and their work schedules aren't always aligned so they do their own things a bit.

The problem us that the last I heard, the SIL had made up her mind to leave the BIL. I don't know if she's told him that yet. I heard this as we werer driving home from our beach place last weekend, where we had spent Easter with the SIL & BIL.

So what's the etiquette here? Assuming he's still in the dark, should I give him a head's up on the basis of blokes' solidarity? Should I casually mention single women I know who might be within his league? Should I rub my perfectly successful (so far) marriage in his face with the unspoken point being that I clearly got the better of the sisters?* Or should I stick to our usual topics of rugby & cricket results, fishing, home brewing and why he hasn't finished restoring his car/fixing his boat/building his deck/renovating his "investment" property/getting a proper job?**


*To be fair, he probably has (or had) the 2nd best of the 4 sisters (and 2 brothers - I don't discriminate)
**I believe that this character trait may be one of the causes of SIL's dissatisfaction.

- The future role of the word "caveat" in message board posts

I believe it has been decreed that the future of ‘caveat’ is finalised, and with no caveats.

The best you can do for him is to show some solidarity. At the start of the evening, tell him the story of the time you sat in first class on a flight to Fiji whilst your wife sat in economy with the kids. If your wife is anything like the long suffering Mrs Mellsblue, the atmosphere between you will suddenly sour and will only worsen with every glass of wine. For the rest of the meal you and your brother-in-law can exchange knowing glances across the table about how crazy woman are.
Have you considered that your wife has invited him over so that she can give him the news about the impending divorce?

Ha! Mrs Liz loves telling that story. Good egg, my missus. Definitely the best sister.

In the end BIL declined the invitation. Maybe he knows?
______________________
Dominating the SHMB
======================

User avatar
Stones of granite
Posts: 1643
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:41 pm

Re: Dinner conversation topics

Postby Stones of granite » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:44 pm

Good egg, my missus. Definitely the best sister.


Good that you think that way. The alternative could end badly, especially if the other sister becomes "available "

User avatar
SerjeantWildgoose
Posts: 2174
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:31 pm

Re: Dinner conversation topics

Postby SerjeantWildgoose » Fri May 25, 2018 12:19 pm

So, its been 3 weeks Liz. Have ye had a go on the sister yet?
Idle Feck

User avatar
Buggaluggs
Posts: 939
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:50 pm

Re: Dinner conversation topics

Postby Buggaluggs » Fri May 25, 2018 8:42 pm

SerjeantWildgoose wrote:So, its been 3 weeks Liz. Have ye had a go on the sister yet?


...or the BIL?

User avatar
morepork
Posts: 6380
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:50 pm

Re: Dinner conversation topics

Postby morepork » Fri May 25, 2018 8:55 pm

Hell, why not both. You'd be a legend in the Tron.

User avatar
Lizard
Posts: 3545
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:41 pm
Location: Dominating the SHMB

Re: Dinner conversation topics

Postby Lizard » Sat May 26, 2018 12:37 pm

Funny thing. After all the drama and hushed sisterly phone calls, it seems she hasn’t left him after all. Or not yet, any way.

So none of that, son.

______________________
Dominating the SHMB
======================

kk67
Posts: 2657
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:27 pm

Re: Dinner conversation topics

Postby kk67 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:33 pm

Meeeoww. What a bunch of professional biaatches. You feckers are lovin' this like it'll never happen to you.

User avatar
Zhivago
Posts: 1297
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:36 am
Location: Amsterdam

Re: Dinner conversation topics

Postby Zhivago » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:11 pm

This thread reminded me of this great French comedy...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2179121/

Highly recommended...
---Zhivagone---

theboyeedj
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:21 pm

Re: Dinner conversation topics

Postby theboyeedj » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:39 pm

I would have tried subtlety by playing related tunes all evening like:-
"Leaving on a let plane"
"Evil woman"
And playing hypothetical questions like, "what's the first thing you'd do if SIL ran off with a ski instructor called Rolf?".

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

Doorzetbornandbred
Posts: 423
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:03 pm

Re: Dinner conversation topics

Postby Doorzetbornandbred » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:15 am

Lizard wrote:Funny thing. After all the drama and hushed sisterly phone calls, it seems she hasn’t left him after all. Or not yet, any way.

So none of that, son.



Liz have you a picture of the SIL you can share just for future reference incase she appears on any "sites".

User avatar
Lizard
Posts: 3545
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:41 pm
Location: Dominating the SHMB

Re: Dinner conversation topics

Postby Lizard » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:13 am

Guys, guys, guys - this thread is nearly three years old!

I’m not about to post pics of my SIL on t’internet but I’m sure you can imagine someone who looks much like Mrs Liz but with a darker tint to her hair and smaller tits.

She is still with the BIL, BTW.
______________________
Dominating the SHMB
======================

Doorzetbornandbred
Posts: 423
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:03 pm

Re: Dinner conversation topics

Postby Doorzetbornandbred » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:02 am

Lizard wrote:Guys, guys, guys - this thread is nearly three years old!

I’m not about to post pics of my SIL on t’internet but I’m sure you can imagine someone who looks much like Mrs Liz but with a darker tint to her hair and smaller tits.

She is still with the BIL, BTW.


Has BIL finished his project house and done the old classic car up yet?

theboyeedj
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:21 pm

Re: Dinner conversation topics

Postby theboyeedj » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:01 pm

I don't think BIL has done SIL yet in the last 3 years so the car is probably done now.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

User avatar
Lizard
Posts: 3545
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:41 pm
Location: Dominating the SHMB

Re: Dinner conversation topics

Postby Lizard » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:40 pm

Doorzetbornandbred wrote:
Lizard wrote:Guys, guys, guys - this thread is nearly three years old!

I’m not about to post pics of my SIL on t’internet but I’m sure you can imagine someone who looks much like Mrs Liz but with a darker tint to her hair and smaller tits.

She is still with the BIL, BTW.


Has BIL finished his project house and done the old classic car up yet?

Oh shit no. The deck (now 3 or 4 years in) has decking and proper doors leading out but I think the balustrade is yet to go on (and this thing is about 3 metres off the ground). He wants to put in a glass balustrade but the glass that he bought off the back of a truck before even building the deck (and has been leaning against his house collecting moss ever since) now doesn't meet code because Council now requires a higher standard of toughened glass. Apparently some mate can get him a deal on the right sort of glass but not right now or some reason.

The Thunderbird is now drivable. Although I should say Thunderbirds as he had to buy another one for parts. The problem is that he doesn't really get that classic cars are by necessity an ongoing hobby, not merely a static possession. He reckons the paint job should be the last thing so it doesn't get dinged up while doing other work. Of course with a car that is cobbled together from 2 vehicles, both over 50 years old, there will always be more work. So it will probably never get painted so he can never really take part in the car shows which was the whole point of getting a T-bird in the first place.

The boat project seems to have stalled for lack of time.

And did I mention that BIL and SIL love snowboarding? The nearest ski-field is about a 5 hour drive so a few years back (maybe 5?) they bought a plot of land "to build on" that is about 50 minutes away from the mountain. They now regularly rent a house in the same village and have picnic dinners on their bare land after going snowboarding.

The entertainment to be had from discussing all this is almost bottomless. BIL is pretty cheerful about it too.
______________________
Dominating the SHMB
======================

User avatar
Lizard
Posts: 3545
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:41 pm
Location: Dominating the SHMB

Re: Dinner conversation topics

Postby Lizard » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:48 pm

Speaking of classic cars, a mate of mine came to NZ from the UK to marry his Kiwi GF (Mrs Liz's BFF) and brought with him his "mistress" - a beautiful British Racing Green MG C. He used to love that car and you could see the gleam in his eye as he took it out for a spin just knowing that an hour's driving pleasure would lead to a half-day's fun replacing a piston head or something.

Recently though, he's confessed that the love has gone and he wants to sell it. I asked him why, and with dead eyes he said, "British engineering. The first time I had to dismantle and reassemble the windscreen wiper motors was interesting. It also made it easier for the second time I had to do it. The third time was just annoying - you'd think they would have designed them so they didn't fill up with water in the rain."

So if anyone wants to buy a very well-maintained MG C, let me know. (I believe that shipping cars between NZ and the UK is not as expensive as you might think.)
______________________
Dominating the SHMB
======================


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests