Dinner conversation topics

User avatar
Lizard
Posts: 3448
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:41 pm
Location: Dominating the SHMB

Dinner conversation topics

Postby Lizard » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:24 am

So, Mrs Lizard has just informed me that she has invited our brother-in-law over for dinner tonight. This is not normally a problem, he's a decent enough bloke and we have enough common interests to get along just fine. My wife has not invited her sister (i.e. the BIL's wife) because she is away skiing (whether with friends or on her own isn't clear). This too is normally fine - they don't have kids (4-5 years married, she's early 40s, he's at least 50) and their work schedules aren't always aligned so they do their own things a bit.

The problem us that the last I heard, the SIL had made up her mind to leave the BIL. I don't know if she's told him that yet. I heard this as we werer driving home from our beach place last weekend, where we had spent Easter with the SIL & BIL.

So what's the etiquette here? Assuming he's still in the dark, should I give him a head's up on the basis of blokes' solidarity? Should I casually mention single women I know who might be within his league? Should I rub my perfectly successful (so far) marriage in his face with the unspoken point being that I clearly got the better of the sisters?* Or should I stick to our usual topics of rugby & cricket results, fishing, home brewing and why he hasn't finished restoring his car/fixing his boat/building his deck/renovating his "investment" property/getting a proper job?**


*To be fair, he probably has (or had) the 2nd best of the 4 sisters (and 2 brothers - I don't discriminate)
**I believe that this character trait may be one of the causes of SIL's dissatisfaction.
______________________
Dominating the SHMB
======================

User avatar
Stones of granite
Posts: 1581
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:41 pm

Re: Dinner conversation topics

Postby Stones of granite » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:48 am

Lizard wrote:So, Mrs Lizard has just informed me that she has invited our brother-in-law over for dinner tonight. This is not normally a problem, he's a decent enough bloke and we have enough common interests to get along just fine. My wife has not invited her sister (i.e. the BIL's wife) because she is away skiing (whether with friends or on her own isn't clear). This too is normally fine - they don't have kids (4-5 years married, she's early 40s, he's at least 50) and their work schedules aren't always aligned so they do their own things a bit.

The problem us that the last I heard, the SIL had made up her mind to leave the BIL. I don't know if she's told him that yet. I heard this as we werer driving home from our beach place last weekend, where we had spent Easter with the SIL & BIL.

So what's the etiquette here? Assuming he's still in the dark, should I give him a head's up on the basis of blokes' solidarity? Should I casually mention single women I know who might be within his league? Should I rub my perfectly successful (so far) marriage in his face with the unspoken point being that I clearly got the better of the sisters?* Or should I stick to our usual topics of rugby & cricket results, fishing, home brewing and why he hasn't finished restoring his car/fixing his boat/building his deck/renovating his "investment" property/getting a proper job?**


*To be fair, he probably has (or had) the 2nd best of the 4 sisters (and 2 brothers - I don't discriminate)
**I believe that this character trait may be one of the causes of SIL's dissatisfaction.

Stick to less controversial topics like e.g.
- The role of the GRU in the Skripal case
- Aussie ball tampering and tears before bedtime
- The potential that China and Russia may takeover Venezuela's oil assets
- Winnie "how do you like that necklace" Mandela's legacy
- The future role of the word "caveat" in message board posts

User avatar
Mellsblue
Posts: 10892
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:58 am

Re: Dinner conversation topics

Postby Mellsblue » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:17 am

Stones of granite wrote:
Lizard wrote:So, Mrs Lizard has just informed me that she has invited our brother-in-law over for dinner tonight. This is not normally a problem, he's a decent enough bloke and we have enough common interests to get along just fine. My wife has not invited her sister (i.e. the BIL's wife) because she is away skiing (whether with friends or on her own isn't clear). This too is normally fine - they don't have kids (4-5 years married, she's early 40s, he's at least 50) and their work schedules aren't always aligned so they do their own things a bit.

The problem us that the last I heard, the SIL had made up her mind to leave the BIL. I don't know if she's told him that yet. I heard this as we werer driving home from our beach place last weekend, where we had spent Easter with the SIL & BIL.

So what's the etiquette here? Assuming he's still in the dark, should I give him a head's up on the basis of blokes' solidarity? Should I casually mention single women I know who might be within his league? Should I rub my perfectly successful (so far) marriage in his face with the unspoken point being that I clearly got the better of the sisters?* Or should I stick to our usual topics of rugby & cricket results, fishing, home brewing and why he hasn't finished restoring his car/fixing his boat/building his deck/renovating his "investment" property/getting a proper job?**


*To be fair, he probably has (or had) the 2nd best of the 4 sisters (and 2 brothers - I don't discriminate)
**I believe that this character trait may be one of the causes of SIL's dissatisfaction.

- The future role of the word "caveat" in message board posts

I believe it has been decreed that the future of ‘caveat’ is finalised, and with no caveats.

The best you can do for him is to show some solidarity. At the start of the evening, tell him the story of the time you sat in first class on a flight to Fiji whilst your wife sat in economy with the kids. If your wife is anything like the long suffering Mrs Mellsblue, the atmosphere between you will suddenly sour and will only worsen with every glass of wine. For the rest of the meal you and your brother-in-law can exchange knowing glances across the table about how crazy woman are.
Have you considered that your wife has invited him over so that she can give him the news about the impending divorce?

User avatar
cashead
Posts: 2865
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:34 am

Re: Dinner conversation topics

Postby cashead » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:52 am

Seduce her with an erotic ballad.

Donny osmond
Posts: 1840
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:58 pm

Re: Dinner conversation topics

Postby Donny osmond » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:59 am

Tell him! Solidarity brother! Nah only kidding, stay well out of it, this is your wife and sister's problem. Potential for comedy tho with chat about careers, so try that out.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

User avatar
Lizard
Posts: 3448
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:41 pm
Location: Dominating the SHMB

Re: Dinner conversation topics

Postby Lizard » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:17 am

Mellsblue wrote:
Stones of granite wrote:
Lizard wrote:So, Mrs Lizard has just informed me that she has invited our brother-in-law over for dinner tonight. This is not normally a problem, he's a decent enough bloke and we have enough common interests to get along just fine. My wife has not invited her sister (i.e. the BIL's wife) because she is away skiing (whether with friends or on her own isn't clear). This too is normally fine - they don't have kids (4-5 years married, she's early 40s, he's at least 50) and their work schedules aren't always aligned so they do their own things a bit.

The problem us that the last I heard, the SIL had made up her mind to leave the BIL. I don't know if she's told him that yet. I heard this as we werer driving home from our beach place last weekend, where we had spent Easter with the SIL & BIL.

So what's the etiquette here? Assuming he's still in the dark, should I give him a head's up on the basis of blokes' solidarity? Should I casually mention single women I know who might be within his league? Should I rub my perfectly successful (so far) marriage in his face with the unspoken point being that I clearly got the better of the sisters?* Or should I stick to our usual topics of rugby & cricket results, fishing, home brewing and why he hasn't finished restoring his car/fixing his boat/building his deck/renovating his "investment" property/getting a proper job?**


*To be fair, he probably has (or had) the 2nd best of the 4 sisters (and 2 brothers - I don't discriminate)
**I believe that this character trait may be one of the causes of SIL's dissatisfaction.

- The future role of the word "caveat" in message board posts

I believe it has been decreed that the future of ‘caveat’ is finalised, and with no caveats.

The best you can do for him is to show some solidarity. At the start of the evening, tell him the story of the time you sat in first class on a flight to Fiji whilst your wife sat in economy with the kids. If your wife is anything like the long suffering Mrs Mellsblue, the atmosphere between you will suddenly sour and will only worsen with every glass of wine. For the rest of the meal you and your brother-in-law can exchange knowing glances across the table about how crazy woman are.
Have you considered that your wife has invited him over so that she can give him the news about the impending divorce?

Ha! Mrs Liz loves telling that story. Good egg, my missus. Definitely the best sister.

In the end BIL declined the invitation. Maybe he knows?
______________________
Dominating the SHMB
======================

User avatar
Stones of granite
Posts: 1581
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:41 pm

Re: Dinner conversation topics

Postby Stones of granite » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:44 pm

Good egg, my missus. Definitely the best sister.


Good that you think that way. The alternative could end badly, especially if the other sister becomes "available "

User avatar
SerjeantWildgoose
Posts: 2171
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:31 pm

Re: Dinner conversation topics

Postby SerjeantWildgoose » Fri May 25, 2018 12:19 pm

So, its been 3 weeks Liz. Have ye had a go on the sister yet?
Idle Feck

User avatar
Buggaluggs
Posts: 865
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:50 pm

Re: Dinner conversation topics

Postby Buggaluggs » Fri May 25, 2018 8:42 pm

SerjeantWildgoose wrote:So, its been 3 weeks Liz. Have ye had a go on the sister yet?


...or the BIL?

User avatar
morepork
Posts: 5477
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:50 pm

Re: Dinner conversation topics

Postby morepork » Fri May 25, 2018 8:55 pm

Hell, why not both. You'd be a legend in the Tron.

User avatar
Lizard
Posts: 3448
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:41 pm
Location: Dominating the SHMB

Re: Dinner conversation topics

Postby Lizard » Sat May 26, 2018 12:37 pm

Funny thing. After all the drama and hushed sisterly phone calls, it seems she hasn’t left him after all. Or not yet, any way.

So none of that, son.

______________________
Dominating the SHMB
======================

kk67
Posts: 2643
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:27 pm

Re: Dinner conversation topics

Postby kk67 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:33 pm

Meeeoww. What a bunch of professional biaatches. You feckers are lovin' this like it'll never happen to you.

User avatar
Zhivago
Posts: 1176
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:36 am
Location: Amsterdam

Re: Dinner conversation topics

Postby Zhivago » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:11 pm

This thread reminded me of this great French comedy...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2179121/

Highly recommended...
---Zhivagone---


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests