Transfer news, fake news, baseless speculation, and various levels of truthiness - Season 2019/20

Moderator: Puja

morepork

Re: Transfer news, fake news, baseless speculation, and various levels of truthiness - Season 2019/20

Postby morepork » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:39 pm

Big Dick?

Digby

Re: Transfer news, fake news, baseless speculation, and various levels of truthiness - Season 2019/20

Postby Digby » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:52 pm

Deceptively proportioned?

Gloskarlos

Postby Gloskarlos » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:13 pm

Adding to Gloucester’s turmoil, just been announced David Humphreys is leaving the club. Lots of theories, lots of statements. My view is there is probably an element of truth to all of it, but condensing director of rugby and head coach into one position saves money and provides a bit more clarity for coaching staff and players.

Sad to see him leave.

Mellsblue

Postby Mellsblue » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:57 pm

Puja wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:Rumours that Saracens have signed Will Hooley.

Peej wrote:Also hearing rumours that Hooley has signed for Sarries

That is a weird signing. Unless they're just planning on stripping their main rivals for promotion, that is. While they are going to be doing lots of rotation and resting of the first XV, you'd've thought Sarries had more than enough cover amidst their squad and academy and, with all due respects to Mr Hooley, I don't see him being a major part of their squad outside of the Championship.

Puja

Bedford have confirmed that Hooley has left the club.

OnlyMonikerRemaining

Postby OnlyMonikerRemaining » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:03 pm

Gloskarlos wrote:Adding to Gloucester’s turmoil, just been announced David Humphreys is leaving the club. Lots of theories, lots of statements. My view is there is probably an element of truth to all of it, but condensing director of rugby and head coach into one position saves money and provides a bit more clarity for coaching staff and players.

Sad to see him leave.

There was an article in Wales online this morning (popped up on my Facebook for some reason) saying that Young and Howley might be in the frame. Didn't specify in what roles.

Gloskarlos

Postby Gloskarlos » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:22 pm

OnlyMonikerRemaining wrote:
Gloskarlos wrote:Adding to Gloucester’s turmoil, just been announced David Humphreys is leaving the club. Lots of theories, lots of statements. My view is there is probably an element of truth to all of it, but condensing director of rugby and head coach into one position saves money and provides a bit more clarity for coaching staff and players.

Sad to see him leave.

There was an article in Wales online this morning (popped up on my Facebook for some reason) saying that Young and Howley might be in the frame. Didn't specify in what roles.

Yes that’s one of the options being banded around, I’d be happy enough with Dai Young, I’m not bothered at all about Rob Howley and would much rather we didn’t go down that route.

Other rumours/pie in the sky thinking’s are:- Cockers, and internal combo of Teague, Taylor etc. Shaun Edwards (but I can’t see how that happens) and/or an audacious approach to Pat Sanderson!

Mellsblue

Postby Mellsblue » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:37 pm

Gloskarlos wrote: an audacious approach to Pat Sanderson!

On loan? ;)

Tigersman

Postby Tigersman » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:26 pm

Quins on twitter "New Signing in an hour"
1 and a half hours later
Quins website down
:lol:

Now tweet deleted :?

Digby

Postby Digby » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:31 pm

I initially thought I didn't know who Tyrone Green was, but didn't they announce a fullback (10/winger) from SA last week?

Scrumhead

Postby Scrumhead » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:35 pm

I think it was just a rumour at that stage.

Mellsblue

Postby Mellsblue » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:03 pm

The next Tim Swiel? You’d better hope not!

Stom

Postby Stom » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:32 pm

Scrumhead wrote:Tyrone Green confirmed: https://www.quins.co.uk/news/harlequins ... one-green/

Good news.

Gloskarlos

Postby Gloskarlos » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:12 pm

Mellsblue wrote:
Gloskarlos wrote: an audacious approach to Pat Sanderson!

On loan? ;)

Good question :D .... still preferable to howley I think

Tigersman

Postby Tigersman » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:05 am

Gloucester rugby would really be in a state if they brought in Pat Sanderson
Is he even still involved with Rugby?

Daily Mail saying Teague is head coach.
To save money, because the head coach should be the first place to cut cost.

Which lines up with what the rugby paper was suggesting a few weeks ago that Humprheys didn't want Teague as head coach but the Board did and Humphreys job was on the line.

Digby

Postby Digby » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:12 am

When they say Teague for head coach do they mean actual coaching or some variant on the DoR role? And what experience does he have for either role?

Tigersman

Postby Tigersman » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:29 am

Sounds like the Head Coach and DOR will be merged.
he was head coach at Bordeaux for a season and a half before getting the boot.

jimKRFC

Postby jimKRFC » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:16 am

Bristol confirm 20 leavers:
Ryan Edwards, Jordan Crane, Will Hurrell, Aly Muldowney, Tom Lindsay, Ian Madigan, Nic Stirzaker, Joe Batley, Mat Protheroe, Nicky Thomas, Lewis Thiede, Shaun Malton, Luke Daniels, Sam Graham, Ollie Dawe, James and Jordan Lay, Adrian Choat, Luke Hamilton and Bryan Byrne.

fivepointer

Postby fivepointer » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:22 am

Thats quite a clear out.
Disappointed that Ollie Dawe is among them. Looked good for the u20s but clearly hasnt been able to make the transition into senior rugby.

jimKRFC

Postby jimKRFC » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:40 pm

Ollie is a bit of shame, hopefully the drop down to Championship and more consistent playing will see him develop as was hoped.

Thought Hamilton might have done enough to stay on, but some others will not be missed....

Gloskarlos

Postby Gloskarlos » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:47 pm

Tigersman wrote:Gloucester rugby would really be in a state if they brought in Pat Sanderson
Is he even still involved with Rugby?

Daily Mail saying Teague is head coach.
To save money, because the head coach should be the first place to cut cost.

Which lines up with what the rugby paper was suggesting a few weeks ago that Humprheys didn't want Teague as head coach but the Board did and Humphreys job was on the line.

Club have stated interviews haven’t happened yet, so whilst this is possible it’s still conjecture.

We are losing a defence coach, a dor and a head coach and looking to replace with two heads to save money, Alex Brown taking up some slack in left over duties. Any club wishing to survive will have to make large savings somewhere, if the lions share of your cash goes on head coach, it absolutely has to be an option for thrift.

Oh, oversight error on my part, Alex Sanderson..... not Pat.

Gloskarlos

Postby Gloskarlos » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:52 pm

Short Synopsis on Teague’s background.

"Teague is well versed in English rugby having played at fly-half for Gloucester and Bristol. He also played for Grenoble in France and joined the RFU after a spell working in Saracens' academy.
He began his coaching life at Harrow where he had a role in mentoring and coaching the young Maro Itoje who was crowned World Rugby's breakthrough player for 2016.
After his contribution in England Under-20's World Championship win in the summer of 2016, he was appointed as full-time skills coach for the senior England team in January 2017.
In the summer of 2017, Teague joined Bordeaux in the Top 14 as a backs coach and was then appointed head coach following the departure of Jacques Brunel to the national side.
In November 2018, Teague and Union Bordeaux parted ways after a run of losses.
In July 2019, he signed on as Gloucester's new attack coach ahead of the 2019/20 season

Mellsblue

Postby Mellsblue » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:12 pm

Read an interview a few months ago, I forget where.... Teague admits he made mistakes at Bordeaux, partly his own making, partly its French rugby and partly trying to do too much too quickly, but reckons he’s now fully equipped for a HC role.
I’d love him to get the chance but it’s risk and I’ve nothing to lose if it goes wrong.

Tigersman

Postby Tigersman » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:23 pm

I mean Daily Mail despite all their problems Chris Foy is usually spot on and his track record proves it.
Tigers said they were going to have a world wide head hunt for Head coach hire MOC....

TBH I think Teague would do a good job.
French rugby is know for being more cutthroat than English rugby and it's a very weird league with a very different culture.

Gloskarlos

Postby Gloskarlos » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:17 pm

I believe he has the respect of the players, that probably counts for most. I wouldn’t be massively disappointed if he got the role, there’s a lot to be said for a passionate Gloucesterite being at the head of his home city’s club. It’s probably more important who is put in place around him in the supporting roles.