Transfer news, fake news, baseless speculation, and various levels of truthiness - Season 2019/20

Moderator: Puja

Puja

Re: Transfer news, fake news, baseless speculation, and various levels of truthiness - Season 2019/20

Postby Puja » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:56 pm

Tigersman wrote:Radio Leicester
Tuilagi
Veainu
Taufua
Reid
Eastmond
Bateman

Are the players who didn't sign
Tuilagi - Loss, but at 31 this next would've been his last regardless
Veainu - Loss, But Freddie Steward might get a good chance to step up early with Nadolo outside him.
Taufua - Loss, But I'm a very big fan of Tommy Reffell
Reid - Not really a loss have Henry coming in.
Eastmonf - Not really too bad with Scott incoming.
Bateman - suspect we will pick up a prop.

I agree with all that. I'm sad to lose Manu, but he's very expensive, we don't see a huge amount of him, and maybe not having a Tuilagi might mean that we develop an attacking game that's not LaunchTheTuilagi! I'd also be sad to lose Taufua, but he's not lived up to the hype so far and if he's not keen to stay, then he can go. Reid, Eastmond, and Bateman are squad fodder and Eastmond is massively disappointing based on what we know he can bring.

The only one I'm genuinely upset by is Veainu, as he is *such* a good player, but he's been our bright spark in a dreadful team for a long time and, if he's gonna get big money in France or Japan, I can't begrudge him that chance.

Puja
Backist Monk

Scrumhead

Re: Transfer news, fake news, baseless speculation, and various levels of truthiness - Season 2019/20

Postby Scrumhead » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:07 am

It’s a funny one. I get the feeling there are quite a few signings yet to be announced.

For example, Quins are strongly rumoured to have signed Els and Trenier from Ealing but neither has been formally announced. We also only have two 9s at the moment, which given Care and Landajo are both the wrong side of 30 and increasingly injury prone is not going to be sustainable.

Also interesting that there’s been practically 0 inbound activity at Irish or Newcastle.

Tigersman

Postby Tigersman » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:41 pm

Newcastle has its entire staff on Furlough hence why nothing has been heard from the club in months

Scrumhead

Postby Scrumhead » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:45 pm

:(

That sounds worrying. I guess they’re in a slightly different situation though as they won’t be playing any more games this season. Assuming the season re-starts as expected on the 15th August, the current Premiership clubs have 6wks to sort out their squads.

I took a quick look on the London Irish ‘View from the 22’ forum and no-one seems to know much about what’s happening there: https://forum.viewfromthe22.com/viewtop ... 4906ffb191

Banquo

Postby Banquo » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:05 pm

Scrumhead wrote::(

That sounds worrying. I guess they’re in a slightly different situation though as they won’t be playing any more games this season. Assuming the season re-starts as expected on the 15th August, the current Premiership clubs have 6wks to sort out their squads.

I took a quick look on the London Irish ‘View from the 22’ forum and no-one seems to know much about what’s happening there: https://forum.viewfromthe22.com/viewtop ... 4906ffb191

Hardly surprising they are furloughed though.

Digby

Postby Digby » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:47 pm

I'm not sure things are so bad we need to look at the Daily Mail

Tigersman

Postby Tigersman » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:30 pm

Tigers CEO has confirmed
Tuilagi
Reid
Eastmond
Veainu
Bateman

Are off
No Taufua maybe a mistake?

Scrumhead

Postby Scrumhead » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:44 am

With Barritt off the wage bill and a lot of cost cutting, I wonder whether Saracens might have a look at Tuilagi?

Tigersman

Postby Tigersman » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:46 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIEm5D3wqlQ

Tigers CEO interview on the whole thing.
Nice easy start for her ;)

twitchy

Postby twitchy » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:40 am

A massive shame about manu. I felt he had just finally got over his injuries and was looking really dangerous for england. I'm guessing he has to be heading to france right?

Scrumhead

Postby Scrumhead » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:12 am

France, Japan and the US are the only rugby locations with any money. Presumably one of those unless one of the richer English clubs can find the money? Bristol? Saracens?

Mellsblue

Postby Mellsblue » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:48 am

I can’t see him getting decent $$$ in the US. They’re not really even pretending to stick to the salary cap but if Manu’s priority is to maximise his bank balance, I doubt the US is part of the plan. Fat Basta was quite open that his move to RUNY was costing him money.

twitchy

Postby twitchy » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:28 pm

Manu wants to stay in england to play for eng/lions.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... ish-irish/

Digby

Postby Digby » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:32 pm

Is this why Barritt is retiring?

Scrumhead

Postby Scrumhead » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:15 pm

Scrumhead wrote:With Barritt off the wage bill and a lot of cost cutting, I wonder whether Saracens might have a look at Tuilagi?

Exactly what I’m thinking

Puja

Postby Puja » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:42 pm

Scrumhead wrote:France, Japan and the US are the only rugby locations with any money. Presumably one of those unless one of the richer English clubs can find the money? Bristol? Saracens?

As Mells said - the official salary cap in the US has a maximum wage of $45k at the moment. Everybody cheats with outside payments and coaching jobs all over the place to inflate that for players like Mtawarira and Nonu, but even so it's not a place to go to get rich yet.

Puja
Backist Monk

Puja

Postby Puja » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:27 pm

twitchy wrote:Manu wants to stay in england to play for eng/lions.

And is allegedly willing to take a pay cut to do so. It is increasingly becoming my opinion that he can f*ck right off.

I have absolutely no problems with players not wanting to take the pay cut if they've got offers from France and Japan - it's a short career and I can completely understand them wanting to take the money. However, if it's not about the money, but "the principle" then I'm much more irked - Leicester have been very good to him through visa issues, injuries-a-go-go, and paying him a high salary despite losing him to England a lot, and I am annoyed that he might go to another club for less money because he's annoyed that a global pandemic and the complete shutdown of the league have required us to reassess our finances!

Puja
Backist Monk

Raggs

Postby Raggs » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:49 pm

He's been good to Tigers too, he's stuck with them despite getting very high offers from other clubs, both in England and overseas.

Puja

Postby Puja » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:51 pm

Raggs wrote:He's been good to Tigers too, he's stuck with them despite getting very high offers from other clubs, both in England and overseas.

And I'd have no issue if he decided to cash in - money is money and he's got a family to support and a short career. Leaving for less money, when the issue is that we asked to pay him less, annoys me greatly.

Puja wrote:
twitchy wrote:This guy has an english mum and a fijian dad but has played in NZ. Sounds like he just wants to play for NZ but it's a slow news day so i thought I would post it.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/a ... =12343345&

Why would you tell us that? He's ridiculously good, but there is absolutely no way that he'll not get capped in the next year and I can't see him leaving NZ before then. Basically the only hope would be an English club putting in a big money bid for him and there's not really big money around anymore.

Mind, the good news in losing Veainu, Manu, and probably Taufua is that we've probably now got room to put in an offer on Sotutu if we wanted.

Puja
Backist Monk

Raggs

Postby Raggs » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:01 pm

Also, pay cut from what? Pay cut from what he's on now, or pay cut from what Tigers offered him?

Timbo

Postby Timbo » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:03 pm

“If he wants to trade loyalty for cash then I’ve full respect for him, but if the dude has principles he can fuck right off!!”

Weird take :P

Unless you believe that all the bad apples in English rugby are based at just a very small handful of teams, it’s clear that some clubs have handled this very badly. Reasonable guess that if Manu had been at Sale, Exe, Saints, Bris etc he’d have signed on reduced terms along with everyone else at those clubs.

Puja

Postby Puja » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:33 am

Timbo wrote:“If he wants to trade loyalty for cash then I’ve full respect for him, but if the dude has principles he can fuck right off!!”

Weird take :P

:P Although the principle in this case is not wanting to be paid less money by Leicester.

You are right that they've clearly made a royal fuckup of the whole situation.

Puja
Backist Monk

Stom

Postby Stom » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:10 am

Puja wrote:
twitchy wrote:Manu wants to stay in england to play for eng/lions.

And is allegedly willing to take a pay cut to do so. It is increasingly becoming my opinion that he can f*ck right off.

I have absolutely no problems with players not wanting to take the pay cut if they've got offers from France and Japan - it's a short career and I can completely understand them wanting to take the money. However, if it's not about the money, but "the principle" then I'm much more irked - Leicester have been very good to him through visa issues, injuries-a-go-go, and paying him a high salary despite losing him to England a lot, and I am annoyed that he might go to another club for less money because he's annoyed that a global pandemic and the complete shutdown of the league have required us to reassess our finances!

Puja

Kinda suggests tigers did something very wrong in negotiations. Or maybe not in negotiations...

I think you just need to come to terms with the fact your club is very badly run