RWC hosts 2027 and 2031

Anything rugby not covered by the other forums.

Moderators: Puja, Misc Forum Mod

Puja

RWC hosts 2027 and 2031

Postby Puja » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:04 pm

Bit of news this week with Russia officially entering the bidding to host 2027, with dictator President Putin in support: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... imir-putin

On the one hand, Russia is a market that could be huge to crack - there's a huge potential audience, they do traditionally like physical sports, and if the autocrat decides this is a new arena for showing off his country to the world, I'd imagine a lot of funding and power to recruit new athletes would suddenly come the way of the RRF, giving them the chance to get up to Italy level in 7 years, maybe more. And after the cash-fest that will be France 2023, the IRB can afford to take another Japan-like risk.

On the other hand, there is the small matter of morals. Plus, the 2015, 2019, and 2023 tournaments will have been northern hemisphere, with 2 of them in Europe, and I don't know how much interest there will be in putting it Europe-adjacent again. Especially since their main competition for 2027 is going to be Australia who badly need both the funds and the attention that holding the RWC would give.

In addition, it is absolutely no secret that, if the Yanks manage to pull themselves together enough to bid for 2031, they are pretty much guaranteed to get it (lust for $$$), so that could mean 2027 goes to a safer bet.

No news on where the South Africans are on this. I'd've thought they'd have put in a bid, considering they were (unfairly, IMO) spurned for 2023, but maybe they've got an arrangement not to queer the Aussies' pitch, the same as the Argentines pulling out of 2027 contention.

Puja
Backist Monk