Card your own players?

Moderator: Puja

CunningPunter
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:51 pm

Card your own players?

Postby CunningPunter » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:31 pm

Seeing the collision between two Welsh players that saw Biggar floored with a blow to the head led me to ask whether, if the other Welsh player had been deemed to be playing dangerously, he should have been red carded?

At first sight this sounds ridiculous - card a man for accidentally hitting his own colleague?

But if someone plays dangerously enough to injure another player, surely he deserves a card in order to promote player safety?

Mikey Brown
Posts: 6235
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:10 pm

Re: Card your own players?

Postby Mikey Brown » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:04 pm

It’s an interesting one. In terms of just being reckless on the pitch it’s hard to argue with, and it was also Liam Williams, so yes I would have red carded him.

Banquo
Posts: 10663
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:52 pm

Re: Card your own players?

Postby Banquo » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:24 pm

Mikey Brown wrote:It’s an interesting one. In terms of just being reckless on the pitch it’s hard to argue with, and it was also Liam Williams, so yes I would have red carded him.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
great player, but strangely irritating.

Mikey Brown
Posts: 6235
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:10 pm

Re: Card your own players?

Postby Mikey Brown » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:29 pm

Yep.

I did also enjoy him being hurled out of the way of the Fijian defensive line after a series of lazy Welsh runners stopping them pushing up. I’m hoping a GIF of that will appear at some point.

User avatar
Mellsblue
Posts: 10130
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:58 am

Re: Card your own players?

Postby Mellsblue » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:04 pm

Banquo wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:It’s an interesting one. In terms of just being reckless on the pitch it’s hard to argue with, and it was also Liam Williams, so yes I would have red carded him.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
great player, but strangely irritating.

Love him as a player - wish he was English. Love that he is a pro athlete after suffering from rickets. I once hung around outside the A.J. Bell for about two hours too long so my son could get some autographs. Williams was brilliant with the kids. Notably mention also to the Vunipolae in this regard.

Banquo
Posts: 10663
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:52 pm

Re: Card your own players?

Postby Banquo » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:05 pm

Mellsblue wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:It’s an interesting one. In terms of just being reckless on the pitch it’s hard to argue with, and it was also Liam Williams, so yes I would have red carded him.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
great player, but strangely irritating.

Love him as a player - wish he was English. Love that he is a pro athlete after suffering from rickets. I once hung around outside the A.J. Bell for about two hours too long so my son could get some autographs. Williams was brilliant with the kids. Notably mention also to the Vunipolae in this regard.

All fair, but since when was being irritating anything to do with fairness.

User avatar
Mellsblue
Posts: 10130
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:58 am

Re: Card your own players?

Postby Mellsblue » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:11 pm

Banquo wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
Banquo wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol:
great player, but strangely irritating.

Love him as a player - wish he was English. Love that he is a pro athlete after suffering from rickets. I once hung around outside the A.J. Bell for about two hours too long so my son could get some autographs. Williams was brilliant with the kids. Notably mention also to the Vunipolae in this regard.

All fair, but since when was being irritating anything to do with fairness.

Good point, well made.

Banquo
Posts: 10663
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:52 pm

Re: Card your own players?

Postby Banquo » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:14 pm

Mellsblue wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:Love him as a player - wish he was English. Love that he is a pro athlete after suffering from rickets. I once hung around outside the A.J. Bell for about two hours too long so my son could get some autographs. Williams was brilliant with the kids. Notably mention also to the Vunipolae in this regard.

All fair, but since when was being irritating anything to do with fairness.

Good point, well made.


Feels like a thread coming on....irrationally irritating XV....

Beasties
Posts: 895
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:31 am

Re: Card your own players?

Postby Beasties » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:20 pm

Could be a few Welsh nominations for Mike Brown.......

User avatar
Mellsblue
Posts: 10130
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:58 am

Re: Card your own players?

Postby Mellsblue » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:21 pm

Beasties wrote:Could be a few Welsh nominations for Mike Brown.......

I’m sure there would plenty of nominations from the English.

Digby
Posts: 11323
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:17 am

Re: Card your own players?

Postby Digby » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:41 pm

Is dislike of the English irrational?

User avatar
richy678
Posts: 240
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:01 pm

Re: Card your own players?

Postby richy678 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:41 pm

I've seen a few scraps between players on the same team.

User avatar
richy678
Posts: 240
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:01 pm

Re: Card your own players?

Postby richy678 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:45 pm

Beasties wrote:Could be a few Welsh nominations for Mike Brown.......


Clearly we would have to offer up the Hask, but I couldnt abide Micky Skinners public persona. Bosh this .....Bosh that....he seemed to have all the rugby insight of Vinny Jones. Which I found, at the time, highly irritating, because, at the time, I was quite behind English rugby being all proffessional and sports science based, and being disgusted with wendy ballers behaviours at the time period.

He did play some cracking games for England, though but.

User avatar
Stom
Posts: 3490
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:57 am

Re: Card your own players?

Postby Stom » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:54 pm

Basically the entire Aus and SA teams are irritating for me :p Plus Farrell, of course.

fivepointer
Posts: 3446
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:42 pm

Re: Card your own players?

Postby fivepointer » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:27 am

CunningPunter wrote:Seeing the collision between two Welsh players that saw Biggar floored with a blow to the head led me to ask whether, if the other Welsh player had been deemed to be playing dangerously, he should have been red carded?

At first sight this sounds ridiculous - card a man for accidentally hitting his own colleague?

But if someone plays dangerously enough to injure another player, surely he deserves a card in order to promote player safety?


A really interesting point.

I guess the argument against any kind of sanction would be that the 2 players were not competing for possession but arrived together as a result of poor or non communication. The players from the same side are not in competition for possession, but an opponent would be so that would change the dynamic.

That doesnt get around the requirement for all players to display a duty of care to others on the field, whether they be team mates or the opposition but its very unlikely any referee will make a highly contentious call to penalise an action involving 2 team mates.

User avatar
Puja
Posts: 7604
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:16 pm

Re: Card your own players?

Postby Puja » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:47 am

Well you can be penalised for dangerous play by dropping a player that you've lifted in the lineout and you can be red carded for punching someone on your team, so it is more than possible. However, I can't see a case for carding either of those - Williams gets up highest, which normally exempts you from blame, and Biggar didn't exactly do too much damage to Williams.

Puja
Backist Monk

Mikey Brown
Posts: 6235
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:10 pm

Re: Card your own players?

Postby Mikey Brown » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:50 am

Biggar should know from the Russell incident that if the other player jumps (even knees first at your face from several metres away) you are responsible for all damages. Both should have been red carded.

User avatar
Stom
Posts: 3490
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:57 am

Re: Card your own players?

Postby Stom » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:51 pm

Mikey Brown wrote:Biggar should know from the Russell incident that if the other player jumps (even knees first at your face from several metres away) you are responsible for all damages. Both should have been red carded.


God, I hate Lee Byrne.

Mikey Brown
Posts: 6235
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:10 pm

Re: Card your own players?

Postby Mikey Brown » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:18 pm

Erm. I mean that's always a valid statement in its own right but are you thinking of Byrne trying to hurdle Godman a few years earlier? It was very similar to be fair.

User avatar
Stom
Posts: 3490
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:57 am

Re: Card your own players?

Postby Stom » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:23 pm

Mikey Brown wrote:Erm. I mean that's always a valid statement in its own right but are you thinking of Byrne trying to hurdle Godman a few years earlier? It was very similar to be fair.


Yep.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Adam_P, Greebo and 26 guests