Scots Abroad VIII (or let's spot the new messiah)

Moderator: OptimisticJock

User avatar
Chunks Baws
Posts: 627
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:22 am

Re: Scots Abroad VIII (or let's spot the new messiah)

Postby Chunks Baws » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:24 pm

:| This is bordering on a bit weird now.

Big D
Posts: 4048
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:49 pm

Re: Scots Abroad VIII (or let's spot the new messiah)

Postby Big D » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:56 am

Maitland and Taylor rumoured on the TR Pod to be asking for 550k and 350k to leave Sarries.

hugh_woatmeigh
Posts: 4199
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:12 pm

Re: Scots Abroad VIII (or let's spot the new messiah)

Postby hugh_woatmeigh » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:04 am

Big D wrote:Maitland and Taylor rumoured on the TR Pod to be asking for 550k and 350k to leave Sarries.


What?

Maitland is OOC in, what, June?

So they're telling me he makes £1.6m PA? (Pro-rating that figure).

What a load of nonsense.

Taylor slightly more believable given he's there until summer 2021 but it's still made up shite.

Big D
Posts: 4048
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:49 pm

Re: Scots Abroad VIII (or let's spot the new messiah)

Postby Big D » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:51 am

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:
Big D wrote:Maitland and Taylor rumoured on the TR Pod to be asking for 550k and 350k to leave Sarries.


What?

Maitland is OOC in, what, June?

So they're telling me he makes £1.6m PA? (Pro-rating that figure).

What a load of nonsense.

Taylor slightly more believable given he's there until summer 2021 but it's still made up shite.


Those would be their next salaries I assume. Not for the rest of the season. May be for a 2 year contract. They did say they were surprised at that too.

Does seem like rubbish but thought it worth mentioning.

hugh_woatmeigh
Posts: 4199
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:12 pm

Re: Scots Abroad VIII (or let's spot the new messiah)

Postby hugh_woatmeigh » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:21 pm

Big D wrote:
hugh_woatmeigh wrote:
Big D wrote:Maitland and Taylor rumoured on the TR Pod to be asking for 550k and 350k to leave Sarries.


What?

Maitland is OOC in, what, June?

So they're telling me he makes £1.6m PA? (Pro-rating that figure).

What a load of nonsense.

Taylor slightly more believable given he's there until summer 2021 but it's still made up shite.


Those would be their next salaries I assume. Not for the rest of the season. May be for a 2 year contract. They did say they were surprised at that too.

Does seem like rubbish but thought it worth mentioning.


Right, it sounded like they were demanding payments to leave salaries with immediate effect (to ease the cap burden).

Maitland is OOC anyway so he's leaving sarries regardless. They must be for 2 year contracts but you don't typically report salaries in that way unless followed by the length.

Mikey Brown
Posts: 7654
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:10 pm

Re: Scots Abroad VIII (or let's spot the new messiah)

Postby Mikey Brown » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:57 pm

Hogg starts for Exeter with Skinner on the bench as a backrow. I'm curious if he's going to be viewed more as a backrow by Exe now with his last few games at 8.

User avatar
General Zod
Posts: 1508
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:32 pm

Re: Scots Abroad VIII (or let's spot the new messiah)

Postby General Zod » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:24 pm

Comedy celebration from Hogg after scoring a cracker of a try at Kingsholm. Making a show of not dropping it!

User avatar
General Zod
Posts: 1508
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:32 pm

Re: Scots Abroad VIII (or let's spot the new messiah)

Postby General Zod » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:39 pm

And saying they’ll enjoy a few beers on the bus after the match. Trolling much?!

Mikey Brown
Posts: 7654
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:10 pm

Re: Scots Abroad VIII (or let's spot the new messiah)

Postby Mikey Brown » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:01 am

I enjoyed that. I guess he wanted to wash away some of the feeling of the last two losses.

I’d actually wondered recently if he was quite as quick as he used to be but he showed some pace there.

hugh_woatmeigh
Posts: 4199
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:12 pm

Re: Scots Abroad VIII (or let's spot the new messiah)

Postby hugh_woatmeigh » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:57 am

Mikey Brown wrote:I enjoyed that. I guess he wanted to wash away some of the feeling of the last two losses.

I’d actually wondered recently if he was quite as quick as he used to be but he showed some pace there.


It's been a long time since we've created any gaps (consistently) for him to run through at national level.

septic 9
Posts: 260
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:19 am

Re: Scots Abroad VIII (or let's spot the new messiah)

Postby septic 9 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:14 am

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:I enjoyed that. I guess he wanted to wash away some of the feeling of the last two losses.

I’d actually wondered recently if he was quite as quick as he used to be but he showed some pace there.


It's been a long time since we've created any gaps (consistently) for him to run through at national level.


while true an odd comment as Exeter didn't create that gap last night either. Poor defensive chase and line from Gloucester. That is what Hogg spotted and attacked. He created it. His role for Scotland is as much if not more about creating, spotting mis-matches on the counter as running into gaps created for him

Not sure his top end pace is what it was 5 years ago, but his acceleration is, and again that is what created the try

User avatar
General Zod
Posts: 1508
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:32 pm

Re: Scots Abroad VIII (or let's spot the new messiah)

Postby General Zod » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:18 pm

I know there are some funny names dotting about in the Southern Hemisphere, but the Queensland Reds’ full-back is called Jock Campbell.

Not that I’d trust a Campbell, but that’s an impressive name.

The Reds’ change shirt is a thing of beauty.

laribold
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:05 am

Re: Scots Abroad VIII (or let's spot the new messiah)

Postby laribold » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:56 am

SH-C getting himself a 2-year deal at Exeter as the Devon-Scottish contingent continues to increase.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51530695

hugh_woatmeigh
Posts: 4199
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:12 pm

Re: Scots Abroad VIII (or let's spot the new messiah)

Postby hugh_woatmeigh » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:59 am

laribold wrote:SH-C getting himself a 2-year deal at Exeter as the Devon-Scottish contingent continues to increase.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51530695


Wow. Great move - if any regime will sort out his alleged attitude problem it'll be Exeter...

He's obviously been signed as cover but I really, really hope he makes the most of this opportunity as he's capable of being the starting 9 for Exeter. SHC fulfilling his early promise would be a huge, huge plus for Scotland.

laribold
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:05 am

Re: Scots Abroad VIII (or let's spot the new messiah)

Postby laribold » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:37 pm

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:
Wow. Great move - if any regime will sort out his alleged attitude problem it'll be Exeter...

He's obviously been signed as cover but I really, really hope he makes the most of this opportunity as he's capable of being the starting 9 for Exeter. SHC fulfilling his early promise would be a huge, huge plus for Scotland.


Yeah, you've got to think they wouldn't have signed him on a two-year deal lightly.

Like you say, very much a cover signing, and with Horne and Dobbie the bright young things at nine he's got plenty to get past, but it could absolutely be a move to kickstart his career.

septic 9
Posts: 260
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:19 am

Re: Scots Abroad VIII (or let's spot the new messiah)

Postby septic 9 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:14 pm

laribold wrote:
hugh_woatmeigh wrote:
Wow. Great move - if any regime will sort out his alleged attitude problem it'll be Exeter...

He's obviously been signed as cover but I really, really hope he makes the most of this opportunity as he's capable of being the starting 9 for Exeter. SHC fulfilling his early promise would be a huge, huge plus for Scotland.


Yeah, you've got to think they wouldn't have signed him on a two-year deal lightly.

Like you say, very much a cover signing, and with Horne and Dobbie the bright young things at nine he's got plenty to get past, but it could absolutely be a move to kickstart his career.


SHC is the same age as Price, only 2 years older than Horne. what a stupid big headed wastrel he has been. I assume he got a deal by not asking if he could drive from the changing room to the pitch?

AL.
Posts: 347
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:05 pm

Re: Scots Abroad VIII (or let's spot the new messiah)

Postby AL. » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:36 pm

septic 9 wrote:
laribold wrote:
hugh_woatmeigh wrote:
Wow. Great move - if any regime will sort out his alleged attitude problem it'll be Exeter...

He's obviously been signed as cover but I really, really hope he makes the most of this opportunity as he's capable of being the starting 9 for Exeter. SHC fulfilling his early promise would be a huge, huge plus for Scotland.


Yeah, you've got to think they wouldn't have signed him on a two-year deal lightly.

Like you say, very much a cover signing, and with Horne and Dobbie the bright young things at nine he's got plenty to get past, but it could absolutely be a move to kickstart his career.


SHC is the same age as Price, only 2 years older than Horne. what a stupid big headed wastrel he has been. I assume he got a deal by not asking if he could drive from the changing room to the pitch?


Just popped in to mention SHC (too slow as normal), is the above a thing that actualy happened?

septic 9
Posts: 260
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:19 am

Re: Scots Abroad VIII (or let's spot the new messiah)

Postby septic 9 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:04 pm

[quote="AL."]

ask Cockerill, it was his story. TBF he didn't names names but it was fairly clear who it was aimed at.

And even if it was a bit of Cockerill exaggeration, his point is how self centred certain players were, players who thought themselves above the rest and better than they actually were

Mikey Brown
Posts: 7654
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:10 pm

Re: Scots Abroad VIII (or let's spot the new messiah)

Postby Mikey Brown » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:57 pm

Only posting this as I saw it crop up as if it was Scottish rugby news. I mean he’s been let go, is already signed up for Fiji, and we already have a coach, so...

https://www.theoffsideline.com/vern-cot ... te-effect/

Maybe it’s just because of the mention of Hines/Gray, but doesn’t really specify much about them.

Gray was a specialist breakdown coach, right?

User avatar
Chunks Baws
Posts: 627
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:22 am

Re: Scots Abroad VIII (or let's spot the new messiah)

Postby Chunks Baws » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:28 am

I'm sure Gray was never a FT member of the coaching staff, he was brought in as a consultant. But yeah, it was to do breakdown work. I think Kelly Brown was doing a similar role before the WC.

Cameo
Posts: 1558
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:14 pm

Re: Scots Abroad VIII (or let's spot the new messiah)

Postby Cameo » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:45 am

Murray Douglas starting most weeks for the Brumbies. Did he ever get a game at Edinburgh?

septic 9
Posts: 260
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:19 am

Re: Scots Abroad VIII (or let's spot the new messiah)

Postby septic 9 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:39 pm

Chunks Baws wrote:I'm sure Gray was never a FT member of the coaching staff, he was brought in as a consultant. But yeah, it was to do breakdown work. I think Kelly Brown was doing a similar role before the WC.


Correct on both counts. Thank Gray is a consultant at Montpellier as well. He is very careful to not take a ft post where his overall abilities would be exposed. Not a criticism btw, a compliment

User avatar
Chunks Baws
Posts: 627
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:22 am

Re: Scots Abroad VIII (or let's spot the new messiah)

Postby Chunks Baws » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:57 pm

Speaking of coaches, have any names been mentioned for our soon to be vacant forwards coach position?


whatisthejava
Posts: 1350
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:13 pm

Re: Scots Abroad VIII (or let's spot the new messiah)

Postby whatisthejava » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:09 pm

6 figures for a lid with 22 appearances. Mental to spend money when there is a salary cap


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests