Mako and Billy Vunipola have committed their futures to Saracens, by signing fresh contract extensions which will see the England duo stay at Allianz Park until 2019. The Vunipolas are the latest players to put pen to paper on a future in north London, following in the footsteps of their England teammate Jamie George and Scotland international Duncan Taylor.
As influential for club as they are in the white of England, 25-year old Mako and 23-year old Billy have developed into two of the finest forwards in the international game. Both are current members of Eddie Jones’ England squad with number eight Billy Vunipola recently named as one of the squad’s vice captains ahead of the RBS Six Nations.
Loosehead prop Mako joined Saracens from Bristol in 2011 and was joined by his younger brother Billy in the summer of 2013 from Wasps. Since then, both players won their first Aviva Premiership title with Saracens in 2015, and since gaining their full England honours Mako has won 29 caps for his country and Billy has won 23 international caps.
Speaking about signing his new deal, Mako said: “Signing a new contract comes with new responsibility and I am really looking forward to contributing to Saracens in the upcoming years. We’re extremely happy to extend our stay at the club, as we have made so many fantastic memories together already. One of the most important things is that we’re playing alongside our best mates, week-in-week-out, and the whole culture of the club means it’s a special place to play rugby. I’m delighted to be staying.”
Younger brother Billy added: “We are both delighted to be able to extend our deals. Now is time to build on the work we have already done with Saracens and continue to improve as people and players. We have a lot to look forward to over the rest of the season and beyond. We’re very excited to stay at Saracens.”
Saracens Director of Rugby, Mark McCall, explained: “This is fantastic news for everyone associated with the club. To have two players of the calibre of Mako and Billy commit their futures to Saracens is extremely exciting, as we continue to build a strong squad for the upcoming seasons. We have a great blend of youth and experience at the club and what has been great is for us to witness the progression of both of them from promising youngsters to two of the world’s best in their respective positions.
“They also contribution off the field is equally as important and we’re delighted to keep them at the club.”
Mako Vunipola fact file
• Joined Saracens in the summer of 2011 from Bristol
• Has made 91 Saracens appearances since making his Saracens debut vs Bath in November 2011
• Represented England at U18s, U20s, Saxons and full International level
• Made his England debut against Fiji in November 2012 after making only 15 Premiership appearances.
• Has won 29 England caps.
• Won 3 caps for the British and Irish Lions in their victorious Australia tour in 2013
• Has studied Business and Management at the Open University
Billy Vunipola fact file
• Joined Saracens in the summer of 2013
• First season in Saracens colours saw Viliami ‘Billy’ Vunipola awarded the Premiership Land Rover Discovery of the season award.
• Made his test debut for England in their 32-3 triumph over Argentina in June 2013
• Has made 52 Saracens appearances since making his debut against London Irish in September 2013
• Has won 23 caps for England, and was named as one of England’s vice captains for the 2016 RBS Six Nations