Who is still playing?

Moderator: Puja

Gloskarlos

Re: Who is still playing?

Postby Gloskarlos » Fri May 07, 2021 1:47 pm

Pain is definitely the key. Those lads can drink too. double whammy the following morning.

Mellsblue

Postby Mellsblue » Fri May 07, 2021 1:53 pm

Aaahhh. The Sunday mornings spent vomiting with cracked ribs, how I miss them....

Gloskarlos

Postby Gloskarlos » Fri May 07, 2021 4:13 pm

I'm wincing at the memory.

Puja

Postby Puja » Fri May 07, 2021 4:39 pm

I had a moment last season where I caught and dumped one of the Fijians who was playing blindside. Next scrum, I attempted to pick and go down the blind from 8, but fumbled the ball slightly, resulting in my first three paces focussing on juggling the ball with arms outstretched and ribs open.

Safe to say, he got his revenge.

Puja
Backist Monk

Gloskarlos

Postby Gloskarlos » Fri May 07, 2021 4:51 pm

Ouch.

My 12 does like to pass the ball high - it's difficult to tense well enough for the impending doom when you are on tip toes....

Similarly - last season I was caught at the bottom of a ruck, somebodies leg underneath my chest when one of these lumps landed on top of us, cracking said ribs. To add insult to injury the boiler had broken in the changing rooms and the ice cold post game shower made me shiver so hard it was nearly as bad as sneezing.

Puja

Postby Puja » Sun May 09, 2021 12:17 am

Played my first game since Boxing Day today and the second one under the adapted laws (both intra-club matches). They take a bit of getting used to - no scrums (which is hard for someone a touch portly like me) and no mauls of any kind. If you go into contact, then you cannot drive through - once a second defender joins, you have to drop a knee to the ground or you'll get a penalty given against you for wilfully starting a maul. If the defence try and hold you up, then it's a penalty against them. Incredibly hard to get used to when you've spent years being taught to pump your legs in contact and try and get forward momentum.

I hurt in several places, but it was absolutely worth it - there's absolutely nothing like playing a good game of rugby. All the training in the world isn't the same as spotting an underresourced ruck and f*cking the opposition's sh*t up to turn the ball over. Plus, our club is currently home to a former international Pacific Islands back rower having a run out (who I won't name as he probably wants his privacy, but has youtube compilations with titles like "Beast Mode"). Carried into his tackle today and bounced him. Admittedly, it was probably a 50:50 bounce - he went to tackle me and I dropped my shoulder and we ended up bouncing off each other and neither going forward - but I'm still taking that as an absolute win.

Although my shoulder now really really hurts.

Puja
Backist Monk

Gloskarlos

Postby Gloskarlos » Mon May 10, 2021 9:07 am

Awesome stuff. 8-)

I've not yet played under the new rules (versions of 'touch' only for the past year) but am coaching U13's who are playing the same. They've adapted well, but have been running uncontested scrums until now anyway, so no great departure. We also coach them to ruck rather than maul as mostly mauls result in a turnover, so again the adaptation wasn't too arduous. What I absolutely hated was the interim Ready4Rugby version the RFU put out. Stupid game that was. OK for fitness, but so little structure I think it actually undid some of the good coaching we had previously passed on.

Puja

Postby Puja » Mon May 10, 2021 1:48 pm

Gloskarlos wrote:Awesome stuff. 8-)

I've not yet played under the new rules (versions of 'touch' only for the past year) but am coaching U13's who are playing the same. They've adapted well, but have been running uncontested scrums until now anyway, so no great departure. We also coach them to ruck rather than maul as mostly mauls result in a turnover, so again the adaptation wasn't too arduous. What I absolutely hated was the interim Ready4Rugby version the RFU put out. Stupid game that was. OK for fitness, but so little structure I think it actually undid some of the good coaching we had previously passed on.

Oh gods yes. Throw the ball above your head, catch it, then offload? What the sh*t was that all about?

Puja
Backist Monk

Gloskarlos

Postby Gloskarlos » Mon May 10, 2021 2:59 pm

And after you had been touched twice.... so you needed one guy to break through - race to the try line having been touched once and then pass to anyone fit enough to keep up with them to score. Reset, and repeat. Beyond tedious.

Mellsblue

Postby Mellsblue » Mon May 10, 2021 7:59 pm

Yep. If it taught you anything it was scramble defence and to support the man after a line break, but there’s only so many times you want to practise that in one match.