Transfer news, exaggerations, fibs, fables, fabrications, fiction, and assorted cock and bull stories - Season 2021/22

Moderator: Puja

User avatar
Mellsblue
Posts: 12461
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:58 am

Re: Transfer news, exaggerations, fibs, fables, fabrications, fiction, and assorted cock and bull stories - Season 2021/

Postby Mellsblue » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:47 pm

Gloskarlos wrote:Seems Glos have signed Will Britton, ex Bath academy and Doncaster Knights. Never heard of him personally, a big unit at 6'5" and 117kg by all accounts - any bath knowledge around on him?

He’s more of a shower man but, if forced, he prefers a warm temp, rather than piping hot, and no bubbles.

User avatar
Gloskarlos
Posts: 1795
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: Transfer news, exaggerations, fibs, fables, fabrications, fiction, and assorted cock and bull stories - Season 2021/

Postby Gloskarlos » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:49 pm

Should not have forgotten the capital B. I deserved that.

User avatar
Which Tyler
Posts: 7235
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:43 pm
Location: Tewkesbury
Contact:

Re: Transfer news, exaggerations, fibs, fables, fabrications, fiction, and assorted cock and bull stories - Season 2021/

Postby Which Tyler » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:55 pm

TBH, he never looked like he'd be good enough to be a prem regular.
However, in these days of low lock numbers and salary cap squeezing - I'm sure he'll do well enough as 4th / 5th choice

FKAS
Posts: 1351
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:10 pm

Re: Transfer news, exaggerations, fibs, fables, fabrications, fiction, and assorted cock and bull stories - Season 2021/

Postby FKAS » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:42 pm

Scrumhead wrote:He can’t dislike Quins that much as he was at the semi final and final games.


As I said it might not be Quins he disliked could have been London or the environment he found himself in.

Ellis Genge is a proud Bristol boy but knew he had to get out of the city he loves because the environment he was in was all wrong for him as a professional athlete. It's not always a team thing, things happen with family and off the pitch as well.

If it was a money thing you never know what pressures are on people behind the scenes. Does he have a family that need some financial support? The Honey Badger left Australia and sacrificed his international career to go to Japan because it meant more money and support for his disabled sibling. There was a Kiwi centre (Abbott?) that went to Japan because his contract came with full family health cover and his wife had a long term illness and the move meant she'd get the best treatment.

User avatar
Gloskarlos
Posts: 1795
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: Transfer news, exaggerations, fibs, fables, fabrications, fiction, and assorted cock and bull stories - Season 2021/

Postby Gloskarlos » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:14 pm

Not that I think we need another back row option - but latest in at Glos:-

Gloucester Rugby is pleased to announce the signing of Namibian international backrower Wian Conradie.

Joining the Cherry and Whites from MLR side New England Free Jacks, the 26-year-old has experience of English rugby having played for Doncaster Knights in the RFU Championship.

Equally effective as a flanker or No. 8, he has won 19 caps for his country and played in both the 2015 and 2019 Rugby World Cups.


Suspect Polledri won't be fit for the start of the season, or more worryingly someone else is off.

FKAS
Posts: 1351
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:10 pm

Re: Transfer news, exaggerations, fibs, fables, fabrications, fiction, and assorted cock and bull stories - Season 2021/

Postby FKAS » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:53 pm

Dan Lancaster signs for Tigers. Pleased with that one, looks a young man with potential.

User avatar
Puja
Posts: 12100
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:16 pm

Re: Transfer news, exaggerations, fibs, fables, fabrications, fiction, and assorted cock and bull stories - Season 2021/

Postby Puja » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:08 pm

FKAS wrote:Dan Lancaster signs for Tigers. Pleased with that one, looks a young man with potential.


I had hoped and it had seemed to make a great deal of sense that we would, but so often Leicester manage to fail at signings like this that look perfect for them but don't come to pass. I'm ridiculously pleased that we've got this one over the line.

Great move for him as well - there's a direct route to the first team available, as all our backup 10s also play elsewhere in the backline and he himself covers 12 quite handily. If he's good enough, he'll get games. And he'd have to be utterly indolent not to be able to learn something from Ford and Burns in training.

Puja
Backist Monk

Digby
Posts: 16607
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:17 am

Re: Transfer news, exaggerations, fibs, fables, fabrications, fiction, and assorted cock and bull stories - Season 2021/

Postby Digby » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:11 pm

Puja wrote:And he'd have to be utterly indolent not to be able to learn something from Ford and Burns in training.

Puja



This isn't entirely true, I've been on the same training paddock as some very decent 10s and it'd didn't help me, and I wasn't utterly indolent, much more to do with a lack of ability on my part.

FKAS
Posts: 1351
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:10 pm

Re: Transfer news, exaggerations, fibs, fables, fabrications, fiction, and assorted cock and bull stories - Season 2021/

Postby FKAS » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:25 pm

Puja wrote:
FKAS wrote:Dan Lancaster signs for Tigers. Pleased with that one, looks a young man with potential.


I had hoped and it had seemed to make a great deal of sense that we would, but so often Leicester manage to fail at signings like this that look perfect for them but don't come to pass. I'm ridiculously pleased that we've got this one over the line.

Great move for him as well - there's a direct route to the first team available, as all our backup 10s also play elsewhere in the backline and he himself covers 12 quite handily. If he's good enough, he'll get games. And he'd have to be utterly indolent not to be able to learn something from Ford and Burns in training.

Puja


I had exactly the same view. No development flyhalf with the next one out the academy another year away from graduation. Made a lot of sense to look to acquire either Matthews or Lancaster who both looked to have potential with the under 20s and were both potentially available.

Borthwick has shown that if the young guys take their chances they'll get game time so it's certainly there for Lancaster to take. Whether at 12 with an experienced 10 and 13 or at 10 with an experienced 9 and 12 we can bring him in, in an environment that will help him hot the ground running.

fivepointer
Posts: 4882
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:42 pm

Re: Transfer news, exaggerations, fibs, fables, fabrications, fiction, and assorted cock and bull stories - Season 2021/

Postby fivepointer » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:32 pm

No surprise Lancaster has been snapped up by a Premiership club. Tigers have got themselves a highly promising young player.

User avatar
Puja
Posts: 12100
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:16 pm

Re: Transfer news, exaggerations, fibs, fables, fabrications, fiction, and assorted cock and bull stories - Season 2021/

Postby Puja » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:36 pm

Digby wrote:
Puja wrote:And he'd have to be utterly indolent not to be able to learn something from Ford and Burns in training.

Puja



This isn't entirely true, I've been on the same training paddock as some very decent 10s and it'd didn't help me, and I wasn't utterly indolent, much more to do with a lack of ability on my part.


Fair point - I have failed to learn from a good player or two in my time too*. I suppose I should say, "with the potential and talent he's got, he's have to be utterly indolent..." usw.

Puja


*Mind, I am also utterly indolent.
Backist Monk

User avatar
Mr Mwenda
Posts: 1343
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:42 am

Re: Transfer news, exaggerations, fibs, fables, fabrications, fiction, and assorted cock and bull stories - Season 2021/

Postby Mr Mwenda » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:37 pm

I often learned just to take the dummy...

Digby
Posts: 16607
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:17 am

Re: Transfer news, exaggerations, fibs, fables, fabrications, fiction, and assorted cock and bull stories - Season 2021/

Postby Digby » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:18 pm

Mr Mwenda wrote:I often learned just to take the dummy...


Known as French fullback technique when I was failing to learn the game

User avatar
Gloskarlos
Posts: 1795
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: Transfer news, exaggerations, fibs, fables, fabrications, fiction, and assorted cock and bull stories - Season 2021/

Postby Gloskarlos » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:11 am

Glos have also signed Harry Elrington - loose head from Irish.

User avatar
Gloskarlos
Posts: 1795
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: Transfer news, exaggerations, fibs, fables, fabrications, fiction, and assorted cock and bull stories - Season 2021/

Postby Gloskarlos » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:13 pm

Just when I thought we were done we have also signed Ben Meehan. I'm not sure we needed another 9, but with Willi off and Simpson knocking on a bit I guess management decided otherwise.

Scrumhead
Posts: 5875
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:33 am

Re: Transfer news, exaggerations, fibs, fables, fabrications, fiction, and assorted cock and bull stories - Season 2021/

Postby Scrumhead » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:13 pm

Meehan is a good player. It was reported that he left LI for ‘personal reasons’ so I assumed he was off home to Australia.

I’d have happily taken him at Quins.

User avatar
Gloskarlos
Posts: 1795
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: Transfer news, exaggerations, fibs, fables, fabrications, fiction, and assorted cock and bull stories - Season 2021/

Postby Gloskarlos » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:36 pm

George using his LI connections well, can understand the LI guys being a little peeved. Believe he was at the Rebels with Woodward and Reid, so he has some buddies already.

User avatar
Mr Mwenda
Posts: 1343
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:42 am

Re: Transfer news, exaggerations, fibs, fables, fabrications, fiction, and assorted cock and bull stories - Season 2021/

Postby Mr Mwenda » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:47 pm

Digby wrote:
Mr Mwenda wrote:I often learned just to take the dummy...


Known as French fullback technique when I was failing to learn the game


The scene: a shit Ulster evening, rain lashing down at the Dub. QUB first XV are practicing, with the under 20s defending for what seemed like the whole session. A lineout, I hear the call and no exactly where the ball is going. I'm on the right wing and the ball comes my way. I look up, I see Tommy Bowe at full back and and Ireland rugby league international as my opposite number. I have no clue where my outside centre or full back are. They may be in the pub for all I know. Tommy gets the ball and I shoot up. I know he's not passing but he at least gives me the dignity of the dummy and I take it, lamely. To this day, part of me berated myself thinking what could have been. I modestly attribute Bowes confidence in many games against England to this moment.

/Drains glass, starts moaning "I coulda bin a contender"...

Epaminondas Pules
Posts: 2142
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:19 pm

Re: Transfer news, exaggerations, fibs, fables, fabrications, fiction, and assorted cock and bull stories - Season 2021/

Postby Epaminondas Pules » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:53 pm

Quins senior academy intake:
Cleaves
Ojo
Benson
Bradley
Hobson
Slevin
Murray
Jibulu
Oresanya

That’s a hell of a lot of talent!

User avatar
Gloskarlos
Posts: 1795
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: Transfer news, exaggerations, fibs, fables, fabrications, fiction, and assorted cock and bull stories - Season 2021/

Postby Gloskarlos » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:23 pm

Cockerill leaves Edinburgh with immediate effect.

Going where?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/57888797

Tigersman
Posts: 2672
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:11 am

Re: Transfer news, exaggerations, fibs, fables, fabrications, fiction, and assorted cock and bull stories - Season 2021/

Postby Tigersman » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:03 pm

Have Clermont announced a new head coach yet?

francoisfou
Posts: 3142
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:01 pm
Location: Haute-Garonne

Re: Transfer news, exaggerations, fibs, fables, fabrications, fiction, and assorted cock and bull stories - Season 2021/

Postby francoisfou » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:30 pm

Tigersman wrote:Have Clermont announced a new head coach yet?

Jono Gibbes is on his way from La Rochelle.

FKAS
Posts: 1351
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:10 pm

Re: Transfer news, exaggerations, fibs, fables, fabrications, fiction, and assorted cock and bull stories - Season 2021/

Postby FKAS » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:52 pm

Part of me would love to see Cockers to go to Bath just to hear the outraged Bath fans choke on their prawn sandwiches. Not sure Cockers would head to the Wreck though, he's a bit old school.

I assume he's heading to France given he speaks the language and there's no obvious job in the Prem. Have Rouen replaced Hill yet?

Banquo
Posts: 14761
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:52 pm

Re: Transfer news, exaggerations, fibs, fables, fabrications, fiction, and assorted cock and bull stories - Season 2021/

Postby Banquo » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:57 pm

Mr Mwenda wrote:
Digby wrote:
Mr Mwenda wrote:I often learned just to take the dummy...


Known as French fullback technique when I was failing to learn the game


The scene: a shit Ulster evening, rain lashing down at the Dub. QUB first XV are practicing, with the under 20s defending for what seemed like the whole session. A lineout, I hear the call and no exactly where the ball is going. I'm on the right wing and the ball comes my way. I look up, I see Tommy Bowe at full back and and Ireland rugby league international as my opposite number. I have no clue where my outside centre or full back are. They may be in the pub for all I know. Tommy gets the ball and I shoot up. I know he's not passing but he at least gives me the dignity of the dummy and I take it, lamely. To this day, part of me berated myself thinking what could have been. I modestly attribute Bowes confidence in many games against England to this moment.

/Drains glass, starts moaning "I coulda bin a contender"...

At least it was a back. I was dummied by our loosehead prop at my first training session at my new club when playing 15- he was a bloody good loose player, but even so.

Scrumhead
Posts: 5875
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:33 am

Re: Transfer news, exaggerations, fibs, fables, fabrications, fiction, and assorted cock and bull stories - Season 2021/

Postby Scrumhead » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:02 pm

francoisfou wrote:
Tigersman wrote:Have Clermont announced a new head coach yet?

Jono Gibbes is on his way from La Rochelle.


I’m continually surprised at Gibbes’ ability to get top jobs. It always feels like he’s just there, rather than making an obvious individual contribution.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 59 guests