Transfer news, exaggerations, fibs, fables, fabrications, fiction, and assorted cock and bull stories - Season 2021/22

Moderator: Puja

jimKRFC

Re: Transfer news, exaggerations, fibs, fables, fabrications, fiction, and assorted cock and bull stories - Season 2021/

Postby jimKRFC » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:43 am

Chris Cook leaves Bristol by mutual consent, he's been out injured pretty the whole time he was at Bristol so fingers crossed he's fit and well and can find a club to get back into the game.

Bristol have also confirmed that Kerr is now joining on a permenant deal.

Theo Strang, scrum half, joins on trial from the Melbourne Rebels as does Joe Cotton, hooker, from NSW Waratahs. Cotton is an EQP being from Bristol originally. No idea how good either are....

FKAS

Re: Transfer news, exaggerations, fibs, fables, fabrications, fiction, and assorted cock and bull stories - Season 2021/

Postby FKAS » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:58 am

jimKRFC wrote:Chris Cook leaves Bristol by mutual consent, he's been out injured pretty the whole time he was at Bristol so fingers crossed he's fit and well and can find a club to get back into the game.

Bristol have also confirmed that Kerr is now joining on a permenant deal.

Theo Strang, scrum half, joins on trial from the Melbourne Rebels as does Joe Cotton, hooker, from NSW Waratahs. Cotton is an EQP being from Bristol originally. No idea how good either are....

How many hookers do Bristol need?

Hooker - Thacker, Capon, Byrne, Kerr and now the new lad. Quote a selection.

Strang will be fourth choice? How good will he need to be if his only chance of game time is during the Internationals when Randall is away.

jimKRFC

Postby jimKRFC » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:13 am

FKAS wrote:How many hookers do Bristol need?

Hooker - Thacker, Capon, Byrne, Kerr and now the new lad. Quote a selection.

Strang will be fourth choice? How good will he need to be if his only chance of game time is during the Internationals when Randall is away.

Given that we spent most of the last season with just Capon and Kerr an extra one might not be a bad thing!

Same at 9, there's Randell (hopefully with Eng and they'll probably break him), Uren, Whiteley and now Strang. Bristol really suffered from having to keep Uren on for pretty much all of every game last season. The new guys will, with luck, let us rest him a bit.

Adam_P

Postby Adam_P » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:40 pm

Harry Mallinder is off to Japan. Could be good for time to regain some confidence in his play. Saints have first dibs to bring him back in two years so seems like a very tidy move for club and player.

Mellsblue

Postby Mellsblue » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:54 pm

Seems a wasted opportunity given the Goldington Road Finishing Sc.... you know the rest.

francoisfou

Postby francoisfou » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:43 pm

Scrumhead wrote:
francoisfou wrote:
Tigersman wrote:Have Clermont announced a new head coach yet?

Jono Gibbes is on his way from La Rochelle.

I’m continually surprised at Gibbes’ ability to get top jobs. It always feels like he’s just there, rather than making an obvious individual contribution.

Huh! Now I’m a Toulouse supporter but let’s get this straight, Gibbes has been at the helm of a remarkable transformation of Stade Rochelais over the last couple of seasons and I’m confident that he’ll bring Clermont back to a side to be reckoned with.

Scrumhead

Postby Scrumhead » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:08 pm

I could be judging him unfairly, but my understanding is that La Rochelle were on the rise pre-Gibbes and a lot of their more recent success gets credited to O’Gara.

He did nothing at Ulster and seemed to be part of ongoing success at Leinster without being an obvious architect of anything in particular. To make a comparison, Alex Sanderson seemed to be very much the main man at the end of his time at Saracens even though Mark McCall was there too.

francoisfou

Postby francoisfou » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:34 pm

Scrumhead wrote:I could be judging him unfairly, but my understanding is that La Rochelle were on the rise pre-Gibbes and a lot of their more recent success gets credited to O’Gara.

He did nothing at Ulster and seemed to be part of ongoing success at Leinster without being an obvious architect of anything in particular. To make a comparison, Alex Sanderson seemed to be very much the main man at the end of his time at Saracens even though Mark McCall was there too.

I agree wholeheartedly that O’Gara’s contribution to the rise has been substantial and he’s been rewarded with promotion to top man. Maybe I’m wrong with Gibbes and will be happy to be proven so if he does not bring about the resurrection of Clermont. We’ll see !

Shiny

Postby Shiny » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:31 pm

Just seen on twitter John Mitchell (England Coach) is joining Wasps. I wonder if that is as well as or instead of England.
The green, black and gold army.

Puja

Postby Puja » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:39 pm

Shiny wrote:Just seen on twitter John Mitchell (England Coach) is joining Wasps. I wonder if that is as well as or instead of England.

Neither would be great news for England. I don't like the idea of an England coach being part time and having a bias towards a club cause it's his day job, but I also don't want him to leave permanently as I think he's been a good influence on Eddie.

Puja
Backist Monk

Raggs

Postby Raggs » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:40 pm

Shiny wrote:Just seen on twitter John Mitchell (England Coach) is joining Wasps. I wonder if that is as well as or instead of England.

Wasps have been keeping things really quiet at the moment, new signings etc generally not appearing in the rumours, didn't see this coming.

Gleeson is rumoured to be going to England, so perhaps this will be permeant with Wasps?

Shiny

Postby Shiny » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:46 pm

Raggs wrote:

Wasps have been keeping things really quiet at the moment, new signings etc generally not appearing in the rumours, didn't see this coming.

Gleeson is rumoured to be going to England, so perhaps this will be permeant with Wasps?

It was an official Wasps tweet and it seems permanent.

Raggs

Postby Raggs » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:17 pm

I meant full time, rather than permeant, so not with England. Poor wording on my part.

EDIT - Chris Jones confirming that Mitchell is leaving England.

FKAS

Postby FKAS » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:39 pm

So much for Wasps replacing Ian Costello from within as defence coach. The Wasps defence has been pretty woeful for a team that's so good at the breakdown so a logical place to spend money. Mitchell has coached good aggressive line speed into England and if he arranges something similar at Wasps it'll suit them well.

Another blow for England though if we get Eddie's preferred attack coach in then that is at least something. Mark Jones from Worcester is allegedly in the frame to replace Mitchell. Failure to bring in either would mean just Eddie and Proudfoot running the show which would at least help the RFU finances but probably not the England performance on the pitch.

Raggs

Postby Raggs » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:12 pm

FKAS wrote:So much for Wasps replacing Ian Costello from within as defence coach. The Wasps defence has been pretty woeful for a team that's so good at the breakdown so a logical place to spend money. Mitchell has coached good aggressive line speed into England and if he arranges something similar at Wasps it'll suit them well.

Another blow for England though if we get Eddie's preferred attack coach in then that is at least something. Mark Jones from Worcester is allegedly in the frame to replace Mitchell. Failure to bring in either would mean just Eddie and Proudfoot running the show which would at least help the RFU finances but probably not the England performance on the pitch.

Erm... Matt Everard has replaced Costello from within as the new defence coach. He's the guy that was responsible for our breakdown before.

Mitchell is coming in as attack coach, though will be given a wider remit is what they're saying, so will no doubt have a hand in defence too.

Scrumhead

Postby Scrumhead » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:25 pm

No-one really wanted Mitchell when he was brought on board, but on balance, I think he did a good job for England.

I’m surprised at the role he’s taking at Wasps though. With all due respect to Lee Blackett, I’m surprised Mitchell is happy reporting in to someone with such little top level experience/success. I rate Blackett, but you’d have thought Mitchell would want to be top man somewhere either with a test team or club.

Unless of course he’s banking on a Mike Ford style coup?

FKAS

Postby FKAS » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:10 pm

Raggs wrote:
FKAS wrote:So much for Wasps replacing Ian Costello from within as defence coach. The Wasps defence has been pretty woeful for a team that's so good at the breakdown so a logical place to spend money. Mitchell has coached good aggressive line speed into England and if he arranges something similar at Wasps it'll suit them well.

Erm... Matt Everard has replaced Costello from within as the new defence coach. He's the guy that was responsible for our breakdown before.

Mitchell is coming in as attack coach, though will be given a wider remit is what they're saying, so will no doubt have a hand in defence too.

I thought Robinson was the new attack coach? Or has he got a skills coach role?

Raggs

Postby Raggs » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:16 pm

FKAS wrote:
Raggs wrote:

He's skills coach.

FKAS

Postby FKAS » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:49 pm

Raggs wrote:
FKAS wrote:
Raggs wrote:

He's skills coach.

Ah ok gotcha.

If imagine you're right and that Mitchell will do some mentoring of Everard as a defence coach as well looking at the Wasps attack. The Wasps attack doesn't need much work. The Wasps defence however is a different story.

Shiny

Postby Shiny » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:30 pm

Henry Taylor retires from rugby. Chris Cook takes his place (short term) at Saints.

Mellsblue

Postby Mellsblue » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:45 pm

Shiny wrote:Henry Taylor retires from rugby. Chris Cook takes his place (short term) at Saints.

Shame. I thought he was was very talented. I assume it’s injury related?

Puja

Postby Puja » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:53 pm

Gosh. That's unexpected!

Puja
Backist Monk

Scrumhead

Postby Scrumhead » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:34 pm

Mellsblue wrote:
Shiny wrote:Henry Taylor retires from rugby. Chris Cook takes his place (short term) at Saints.

Shame. I thought he was was very talented. I assume it’s injury related?

Doesn’t look like it … sounds like he’s just decided that his future no longer lies in rugby.

Maybe he saw Saints as his last crack at nailing down a starting spot in the Premiership and after slipping behind Tom James in the pecking order, he’s decided it’s not going to happen?

Scrumhead

Postby Scrumhead » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:37 pm

On the subject of Saints, does anyone know much about Karl Wilkins? He’s a 25 year old lock/flanker who is re-joining Saints (he was in their academy) from Beziers.

I can’t say I’ve ever heard of him but he left Saints academy for Clermont and was recently being chased by Bordeaux. Sounds like a player with some interesting pedigree.